Drop Trap

Holliman Jane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Monday I have an appointment to take in one of my ferals who has a gash on his face and the inside of his ear is black and red. I have to trap him tomorrow night. I don’t think he will go in a regular trap (he’s been trapped before.) so I think I’m going to have to use my drop trap (which I’ve only used once.) This feral cat is always with his two buddies. So my question is, what if I get him but his buddies are in there too? How do I go about just getting him? I’ve only used a drop trap once so I’m not that experienced with them. Thank you!

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I own a custom made drop trap, but am a complete klutz with it and have never successfully used it. If yours is like mine, you get the cat or cats inside and then attach the transfer trap to it and encourage the cat to enter it by putting more bait in the back. The trap will shut when the cat reaches the bait bar. If you are using the style of transfer cage that is not like the Havahart trap, some bait still might encourage them to move into the carrier. If you get all three, can you release the ones you don't want once they enter the attached trap assuming that they can be moved into that one at a time? If he enters first, then you are in luck. If they all run in together, which I have had happen with Havahart traps, especially with smaller cats or kittens, then you will need to bring the entire trap to the vet. I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom that you might want to give the vet a heads up on this. My vet has never had an issue with multiple cats in a trap.

Some drop traps have some sort of transfer shield to be used in case multiple cats run into the transfer carrier; you can insert it an release one cat. I have never seen this in person and don't know if it could result in both cats getting out.

KFC has always been my most reliable bait.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Holliman Jane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
Thank you SO much for the helpful replies. I am so upset. I had the drop trap set and he was in there and as soon as I pulled it he ran out! He is a smart one:( Now I’m worried that I traumatized him and he won’t ever go back in. Not sure what to do. I will keep trying. He is eating and he bathes himself after he eats which tells me atleast he has an appetite. But I know his ear will get worse as time goes on. Going to try again tomorrow.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had issues with drop traps as well, but just keep trying. All cats are different and he may reenter it. When I first had mine inside to test it, one of my personal cats thought it was a laff riot and continually sat under it and let me drop it, so don't give up.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can keep feeding all the cats under the drop trap.
If you get more than one cat you just prod a cat into the transfer cage
and release it if it's not the one you want.
when transferring the one you want in the transfer cage, be very careful this is
where you want to take your time and make sure he doesn't get out.
make sure your transfer cage is very secure to the drop trap,
I practiced closing the the door on the transfer cage quite a few times
and pretended I had a squirrely cat in there, I tied some small bungees
from the transfer to the drop trap just in case. sometimes there can be a gap, just make sure it is secure
It took me 6 months of trying every month to get this one cat.
Because he got out, he will most likely go in there to eat again.
sorry didn't see your post earlier!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH and the first thing I did when he went into the drop trap was cover it with a big sheet
I had a couple bricks sitting by the trap and I put them on top of the trap
a lady told me they can get real squirrly if you have someone with you
you can have them hold the trap down and put the sheet over it
most important is holding it down and then the sheet.
they say when you start to move the sheet away you pull it towards the transfer
cage and they might go into the transfer cage on their own, didn't happen for me
I had a long stick (cat toy) and just prodded him into the cage.