Drooling And Lump On Cat's Gum

mythical6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm really worried about my cat and I need to know whether I should be or not.
Also, please be regarding of my financial situation as I've come here first due to very little finances to get a vet check up.

My cat has had a wet chin for a week or so now, and sometimes leaves food stuck on it without licking it away for a while. He also has strings of drool when I see him sometimes and drools more than normal when purring. I think he's been having issues with drinking, too, and is even not drinking chicken-broth infused water (which is strange, as chicken is his favourite).

It's extremely hot here in the UK so I thought at first it was dehydration but I noticed this white structure:
upload_2017-6-24_12-50-20.png

in his mouth, it is on the other side but not as large. I also just noticed his back teeth are very yellow. What is wrong with him? As I said, I'm extremely worried and would go to the vet in a heartbeat but I don't have the expenses for that. I need to know how serious this is.

I'll appreciate any help.

Edit: I forgot to mention he's also shedding a lot, which I only forgot to say because I assume that's normal within environmental weather changes etc. But does this link to his mouth thing?

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think, although I can't be sure, that your cat has an abscess, possibly secondary to dental issues. It may rupture and break on its own, but could easily come back if the tooth issue is not resolved. On the other hand, it may well lead to a systemic (whole body) infection, and that could prove fatal. This REALLY needs to be seen by a professional. I know how desperate finances can be, believe me, I do, but somehow, try. One of the crowdfunding sites might be of help. I don't want to be an alarmist, but this could be quite serious. There are a few simpler things that could cause it, but they are far less likely than an abscess. Best of luck to you, and to your cat! I wish I had better news for you. But I am so glad you found us. Hang in for a day or two, someone with more specific knowledge than I may have another idea.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I'm in the UK and there are many low cost vets and there's one near me who only see people on low or no income (I think donations only). I agree he needs to go to the vets . It may be something easily resolved. Vets are quite good and you could ask to see a nurse or assistant first which does not cost as much as qualified vet . What city do you live in ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mythical6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm in the UK and there are many low cost vets and there's one near me who only see people on low or no income (I think donations only). I agree he needs to go to the vets . It may be something easily resolved. Vets are quite good and you could ask to see a nurse or assistant first which does not cost as much as qualified vet . What city do you live in ?
I'm in Lancashire, and a pretty small town in that. The vet nearest to me does not offer this. I've been before and they charged £16 to clip a claw that was irritating him so I have no idea how much they'll charge for this. It's very difficult for me to go to a vet further than this.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
iVe attached a couple of screenshots for you . There's a non profit clinic where they offer free consultations - I've screened the page with the towns they cover like Preston etc... Plus the RSPCA also offer advice and assistance with vet fees (which I didn't know myself ) if you call them .

Attachments

mythical6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bit of an update...
He's licking his mouth a lot and not eating his food and actually vomited a bit ago. It was clear, brown and liquidy. (Sorry for the detail, but I'm just saying in case anyone has seen that before)

I'm planning to see the vet nearest to me tomorrow. Very worried about him :(

He's at his happiest when I'm brushing him, if this is relevant. I gather so much fur when I do so too... he appears to be shedding a lot and I think I'm helping him out by getting rid of a lot of fur he would otherwise ingest but still... none of this is normal.

Last edited:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no clue I'm sorry however hope somebody else can . What time is your appointment ? Hopefully it is an infection which will clear up with antibiotics

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
NEVER apologize for giving details that might help one of us to help you! I'm glad you will be seeing a vet. I've been worried about this. In fact, your thread was my first stop in the forums today. PLEASE let us know how your cat is doing.

I see that you are brand new here on TCS. When you aren't quite so frantic, stop over at the "New Cats on the Block" forum and introduce yourself and your cat! BTW...what is his name? Meanwhile, I'm sending lots of :vibes::vibes::vibes:his way!

mythical6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
NEVER apologize for giving details that might help one of us to help you! I'm glad you will be seeing a vet. I've been worried about this. In fact, your thread was my first stop in the forums today. PLEASE let us know how your cat is doing.

I see that you are brand new here on TCS. When you aren't quite so frantic, stop over at the "New Cats on the Block" forum and introduce yourself and your cat! BTW...what is his name? Meanwhile, I'm sending lots of :vibes::vibes::vibes:his way!
He's called Tails, no affiliation to the Sonic character :)

Will definitely make my way around once this is all cleared up!

mythical6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it's flea related. I don't know why this didn't click when I saw how happy he was as I combed him. I think his issue is mainly nausea, and this possibly arising from the anxiety surrounding the fleas (if these mechanisms work in any way the same as in humans). Though, I'm no professional. We'll see tomorrow.

I really do thank all of you for the help even if you see it as very little.

mythical6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How did the vets go today ?
So well! Had it this afternoon.

The gum issue that this post started as is apparently nothing to worry about, and the drooling/vomiting that I thought came from this were actually due to anxiety; the anxiety was coming from environmental factors like the amount of visitors I've been having lately along with his fleas. He's had a flea treatment today and he should be much happier within 2 weeks :)

If there's a branch of hypochondria that relates to pet illness, I think I experienced that :lol: Albeit, I thank you for all of your help. He could've easily had a bigger issue.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so pleased! i must say I was worried.. It still puzzles me how cats can be so confident yet very scared at times too !!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
~heaves HUGE sigh of relief~ Well, that's easily taken care of! Thank goodness it was that simple!