Drooling and breathing through mouth

barblynnp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just noticed that my cat, Mickey, is drooling and breathing through his mouth. I am very worried as to what could be wrong. He has been totally fine. Yesterday I applied Frontline....could this be causing this?

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
take him immediately to an emergency vet. Open mouth breathing is not a good thing and needs an oxygen cage. Get him there ASAP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

barblynnp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just called my vet and they said it is not an emergency and I have an appointment to bring him in at 10:30 this morning.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds as though it is a possibility he is having a reaction to the Frontline. Glad to see you are going to the vet this morning. Let us know the outcome please.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FootersOwnsMe

take him immediately to an emergency vet. Open mouth breathing is not a good thing and needs an oxygen cage. Get him there ASAP.
Normally I would have said thats overreacting, since frontline was just applied the day before, it could be that. It could also be the heat too though.
Neko is always breathing through his mouth due to the extreme heat we are having. Diego sometimes does too, and today Ryu was running around like a maniac and the started breathing through his mouth. I just give them plenty of cold water when I see them breathing through their mouth, then 2 or 3mins later they're fine.

barblynnp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: I just got back from the vet. Mickey has Calici virus which casued a large ulcer on his tongue. He also has a fever of 103. He was given 110cc of fluids under the skin because he is not drinking because of the pain. He also has to take 3 meds. 1. Clavamox 2. Carafate (for healing of ulcer) 3. Buprenex Amps (for pain).

The vet said that he most likely got infected with the virus from our new kitty, Rupert. Rupert also infected our kitty Rhapsody and they BOTH now have diarreah and they have to take meds for a Protozoal (sp?) infection of their bowels.

Oh my gosh!!!!! I have spent sooooo much money since adopting Rupert just over a week ago!!! My husband is VERY stressed out because we don't have the money and are having to charge it. It is going to take me a while to pay off these bills. I hope they get better soon!!!!!!!

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you went immediately to the vets! I hope that Mickey responds quickly. I went through a similar financial situation last year (and early this year) with a little boy that I had adopted from a local shelter. Within 48 hours, I had him at the vet, and we seldom went more than 2 weeks without a vet visit. Although I spent almost $2000 on his care (he had FIP and enventually died), I loved little Oliver so much and my only real regret is that he could not be saved. Could I spare the money? No, but sometimes those special cats and kittens find their way to the right person - someone who will love and care for them. I know your DH is probably totally freaked out, but I'll bet that little Mickey ends up being his special cat! Keep us posted!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, how stressful for everyone!

The very best of luck to you that your kitties get better real soon.

barblynnp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone else gone through this? Mickey is Soooooo sick!!!!
I have him confined to my bedroom and he is just sitting on my bed drooling and quivering his mouth. He must be in so much pain. He is not eating or drinking anything at all. He even has a tough time swallowing his medications. I am so worried about him.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Jordan has had a couple of flare ups of his feline herpes. The first time he would not eat or drink for several days. I had to force feed him 2x a day and give him sub-q fluids 2x a day. I would talk to your vet, it's not good for cats to go very long without eating.

As a side note, it is not uncommon for cats from shelters to have URI, that can be passed a long to your cats. I don't know where you got your kitty, but I know that our shelter recommends keeping them separate for a week, not just for introductions, but also for this reason.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Barblynnp

Has anyone else gone through this? Mickey is Soooooo sick!!!!
I have him confined to my bedroom and he is just sitting on my bed drooling and quivering his mouth. He must be in so much pain. He is not eating or drinking anything at all. He even has a tough time swallowing his medications. I am so worried about him.
Just wondering how Mickey is doing??

barblynnp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mickey is getting much better. He is eating good now, drinking a little. He is still drooling a little bit and still isn't using his tongue normaly. He licks his lips, but that's about it. His chin is diry from him not cleaning himself. I would like to see him drink more water, although he does not appear to be dehydrated.

Now I am dealing with another stressful situation with my kitty Rupert. I have another post going on talking about that. He may have FIP.

I am soooooo stressed out!!!!