Drooling After Dental Surgery...Infection?

mellieanne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! I feel like I've been posting a lot here lately about my kitty, Jesse, but the poor boy can't catch a break! Hope someone here can offer some insight.

About 10 days ago, Jesse had 8 teeth extracted. He had been doing pretty well recovering and was back to his old self until this morning. I noticed he didn't get up to bother me for food in the AM as usual...just slept. I put food out for him after I got up. He ate a bit and then went back to sleep. Slept all day long which isn't like him...he usually follows me around most of the day. He keeps opening and closing his mouth, and sometimes his bottom jaw will start trembling during this (almost like he's having a hard time closing it?). He's also drooling a LOT...it keeps dripping out of his mouth over everything and I keep having to wipe it up. He did get up a bit to play in the evening when I brought out a toy, and ended up eating almost an entire can of wet food and used the litterbox as well a couple times, so all thankfully seems to be good in those areas, but he is definitely way more lethargic than he should be. I will be calling the vet first thing Monday, but anyone have experience with this? Maybe a possible infection from the extractions...maybe a fever? Poor thing just seems so out of it every time I check on him, I feel terrible =(

prince meow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does Jesse have a fever, bad breath or any pus in on his gums?
Being that he had so many extractions I would definitely take him back in a.s.a.p to have the vet check him out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mellieanne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't tell if he has a fever as I don't have a thermometer, but his ears do seem to be warm and he's definitely lethargic. His breath isn't bad...I'm not sure about his gums as I can't get a good look at them (he drools more when I touch near his mouth, so I'm assuming it must be painful) =/ Hopefully I can get an appointment first thing tomorrow.

prince meow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry.

If you can get someone to gently hold him while you look at his gums. Check for lesions, redness or bleeding. If you shine a flash light on the gum (mouth) area you can really get a good look. If you see anything, when you see your vet tommorow you can point it out to them.

How is his liquid intake? Could he be dehydrated?

mellieanne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I'm alone with no one to help me, but I'll try to gently open his mouth to see if I can get a look at his gums. Thankfully his appetite has been pretty good. He eats canned food, which I add a little water to as well, so I am hoping that he is not dehydrated.

prince meow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww, you're a great meowmmy! :high5:

Get him to purr as much as possible.
Purring is a therapeutic apparatus that helps them to regenerate their little bodies.

Its also comforting to humans :alright:

I hope that tommorow goes very well for you and Jesse
Sending Purrs and good vibes your way

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

mellieanne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I feel so bad for him. I only adopted him a little over a month ago, but he's been in pain for pretty much the whole time because of his teeth...and then he finally gets the painful teeth out and now has a possible infection from it. I just hope he will eventually be pain free soon 

prince meow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor Jesse....When they hurt, we hurt.
Hopefully, they cleaned off all the tartar on his other teeth. The bacteria in their mouths can cause a lot of issues.

One of my family members is a 4 yr old rescue tabby that had swollen lymph nodes due to all the tartar and bacteria in his mouth. It was really wrecking havoc on his health. He had really bad breath, discolored saliva, he chewed with his head sideways and sometimes he would throw up. He was starting to lose weight because of his mouth issues. He was seen by 3 vets. 2 out of 3 vets said he had stomatitis and would have to have teeth pulled. Possibly all of them. He was on antibiotics and probiotics before surgery and a little pain medication (Buprenorphine) just so he could eat.
Before his surgery I requested to keep any teeth that were pulled. His regular vet (who cleaned his teeth) informed me, his teeth weren't rotten, none of them needed to be pulled and he just needed a cleaning. Since his cleaning (last week) he has mass energy, eats like a horse, he no longer has swollen lymph nodes, bad breath or discolored saliva and is a very happy boy.

Hopefully, your vet will have the answers to your questions. If not seek a second opinion.
:cat:

jaxmycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a 10 year old kitty he stated to drool when I got home with him. We are going to the vet tomorrow I know he had dental work done and had an infection. He barely has eaten since I brought him home 4 days ago and I am soo worried. Now he hasn’t gone poop poop in two day ! But I am going to the vet tomorrow so He was in the shealter for a while I think he will get better now that he is out I hope so. He is soooo sweet. He is a tuxedo