Drool?

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. I have a bit of a problem involving my 7-year-old cat who does have a bit of dental problem. This morning is the first time that I saw drool down his face (I don't really count yesterday as there was only a bit on his whiskers) and now I'm wondering if that's normal in a cat. There was no puddle. He eats, sleeps, poops, and acts completely fine aside from that. Not too sure how to know if he's lethargic since he's not really an active cat in the first place.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is indeed drool, it is probably related to the dental issue that you know about, although some cats do seem to drool more often than others. Now, several times that I've thought Hekitty was drooling, I have realized that the "drool" was thin and cool...just water! She's a sloppy drinker! Could be that?

Snowhite525

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats can drool from happiness, but also from some sort of a dental related issue. If your kitty has known dental problems you should error on the side of caution and try to get him in for a oral exam. This will tell you if there is something going on in his mouth that could potentially be causing his drooling. Especially if the drool is foul smelling or appears to have any tinge of blood to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 It's drool. It seems thicker than the consistency of water and it would appear out of the blue, like if we are both chilling on my bed.

Draco Draco I was thinking about that too. That maybe he's just really happy and snuggly... but he's never done that before. Kinda freaked me out tbh. It would also appear when he's just roaming about.

Snowhite525 Snowhite525 Yes, I will see if the vet is available tomorrow since they are closed on Sundays. His mouth/saliva has always been on the foul-smelling side due to the buildup. When I had talked to my vet about oral cleaning or whatnot, she said that it's not necessary yet because it is only a mild form or whatever. Anyway, I think it does stem from his dental issue because even his meows are weird -- like croaky if that makes sense. And when he yawned, I saw that his mouth his more water/contained more saliva which was strange. He won't let me inspect his mouth though so idk if he's in pain or not.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Dumb me forgot that it's Labor Day so my vet is closed, and the other vet nearby isn't reliable. I don't want to travel too far out due to my cat vomiting this morning. A car ride and being in his carrier would be enough stressors, and I really don't want him to vomit on himself/on the way to a farther vet. I'll call my regularly vet tomorrow.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tomorrow will certainly be fine. This isn't a medical emergency, just something that should be checked and dealt with before it can (maybe) become one. And who knows, you may find out that your cat just drools a LOT. I had a tomcat named Primus who used to drool copiously whenever being stroked. I kept kitchen towels with me at all times.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Yeah, I wouldn't consider it life/death emergency so I'm fine with waiting. It's the anxiety I guess since the drooling came out of nowhere. Plus he's been sneezing too. And when I googled those symptoms, oh boy. Yeah right now I'm keeping a towel to wipe his drool away. I don't normally mind drool, but his stinks. Will keep you posted.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat drools when he's extremely snuggly with me. I actually have a drool towel for him. He also drools when eating.. no dental problems to my knowledge here
LOL I am glad I'm not the only one with a happy drooling kitty! My little one drools whenever she comes for snuggles or tummy rubs - literally the drool faucet turns on and her beard is wet, my hand is wet, bedding gets wet - LOL! She's only 3 and the vet checked her mouth and teeth and said everything looked great - but seriously, I joke that she needs a bib! She's such a relaxed happy kitty, I find dried up drool on the hardwood floor, on the table, wherever she sleeps, there is evidence of dried up happy kitty drool!
Adorably cute!

Paisley3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat drools sometimes too and at first I thought it was just water and she'd maybe just had a drink because she never showed any (other) signs of being in pain. However in our case it's a severe dental issue and the drooling indicated that she was actually in a lot of pain. Always best to get it checked if you're worried, your instincts are usually right.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! Just an update: it is a dental issue and my vet also suspects maybe an upper respiratory problem. For now she sent me home with Lysine (an amino acid) & Clavamox (an antibiotic). The former mixes with his food and the latter are drops that need to be put on his gum line. There are some gingivitis and tartar (which was already present when I adopted him). So hopefully, with those two the drooling will subside.

Btw, has anyone ever gotten their cat professional cleaning before? If so, how much did it cost you? My vet doesn't do any Care Credit or payment plans and one of the people in the receptionist gave me an attitude for not having money set aside for my cat... which I do but $600 for vet cleaning is something I do not have especially when exams alone are $63 (also she made me feel bad about that).