Droncit and Advantage Multi

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to use Advantage Multi and Droncit to cover all the bases when it comes to worms and fleas. Since Advantage Multi doesn't work on tapeworms. Does anyone else use this combination?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry no one has responded to your post yet! Does your cat spend time outside and eat prey, or are you just worried about fleas that might have been infected? If your cat is not outside all the time and doesn't kill prey, you might be over-treating him/her.

Droncit does not prevent tapeworms, and only is effective in killing two of the 3 most common types of tapeworms. There is a 3rd type than can come from rodents and rabbits that isn't covered. And, while it is not an absolute guarantee, given that Advantage products kill fleas through contact so they don’t have to bite your cat to die (and, in most cases, fall off your cat) that lowers the risk of tapeworms by a bit.

Last edited:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can pill your kitty, I highly recommend a pill dewormer like Caniverm. They are more effective.

Profender from Bayer treats tapeworms too (and some other intestine worms) but my own cat has quite severe side effects with it. The yard cats don't but I would personally leave it as a last option.

P.S. Stronghold / Revolution is more effective against fleas and its effect lasts longer in my experience. I use Stronghold on my cat who goes outside throughout the summer.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also I agree with FeebysOwner you may be overtreating her. My cat goes out to the yard but I don't treat her for fleas in the winter and so far we didn't have a problem. (I still keep Stronghold at home in case I see signs of fleas. So far not happened in the winter.)

I use Advantage in Spring / Autumn when fleas start to show up as it is effective for young fleas.