Drinkwell Fountain

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did it take some time for your cat to start using and enjoy the Drinkwell Fountain?

I just purchased one for Simba and he seems hesitant to use it (today is the second day.) I did see him drinking from it but I thought this fountain would encourage him to drink more water?

zendora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh man, I had one of these when Pandora was the only cat in the house. She LOVED it...but also loves faucets and showers (she doesn't get in, just puts her head in to drink).

Now Z...when I added her in, she decided that the machine was some sort of devil-spawn on a mission to extinguish her.
Poor kid wouldn't even go near it and I switched back to a ceramic dish.

Good luck with Simba, its good news that he tried it at least!

kittymom4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I remember, my shy girl did take a day or two to warm up to it. But I kind of expect that - I wouldn't have surprised me for her to never use it!

Now my Tonks on the other hand - they couldn't wait to get their little paws on it!! As with most things I didn't get it out of the box before they were all over it and then when they figured out it actually WAS for them - all bets were off LOL.

I plugged it in and the water stared flowing and it was like toddlers at a magic show - amazed and astounded
They would circle it and paw at it. Simon spend a great deal of time the first day or two just smacking the water stream and making a mess. I'm glad that's worn off.

Now when I take it down to clean it you'd think I've broken their hearts! They follow me and watch me clean it and then wait till I "make it go" again back in the kitty room

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine have always liked dripping water, so they warmed up pretty quick. I have heard of some just being hesitant at first, but then being all about it though once they realize its safe. Its not that the water dripping alarms them, but probably just the pump buzzing sound which is strange at first.

If its still not a hit towards the end of your return period, you can try a different style of fountain called the Pioneer Ceramic Big Max.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WesleyBu.../2/OG3jmlWTm2M

From what I read, cats just generally prefer flowing water, as its safer in nature to drink than stagnant water which often has a lot of parasites. So as long as the water appears moving, they are predisposed to prefer it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies everyone!

He's still hesitant but he's giving it a chance, so I will too!

Ducman69, I think you're right about the motor sound because he loses his reluctance when I shut it down for the night.

I guess I was hoping he would have at it like Pandora, Tonks, and Simon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Happy to report that Simba Yim does drink a lot more water and even drinks from the stream now.

He doesn't play with it but maybe that's because he's a "mature, sophisticated" 2 yr old now.

I'm very happy with my purchase.