Drinking Issue

Cquinn1021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My older cat always liked to drink from a cup on the bathroom sink. Recently, she waits till one of us goes in the br until she goes in, jumps up and waits to be petted. She will only drink if ur petting her. When u leave she jumps down. I'm not sure if she drinks at any other time. We do have other water sources.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
As long as she’s drinking something, I think she’s probably ok. She might be taking sips from time to time at other locations, while you’re not looking. Most cats don’t drink a ton, anyway, especially if they eat wet food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I guess you are worried she is not drinking enough water?? Do you have a water fountain that might entice her?

And, of course, feeding her canned food will help with water intake, as well as dry food mixed with water. All of her food routines can be inter-mixed (dry, dry and water, canned, etc.).

If you are worried about water intake, do you measure the amount of water used in her other water sources?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cquinn1021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I guess you are worried she is not drinking enough water?? Do you have a water fountain that might entice her?

And, of course, feeding her canned food will help with water intake, as well as dry food mixed with water. All of her food routines can be inter-mixed (dry, dry and water, canned, etc.).

If you are worried about water intake, do you measure the amount of water used in her other water sources?
She does have canned food. No I don't have a fountain. She doesn't seem any different
So maybe she's fine.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She probably is. If you think you have reason for concern, just watch her for other signs of problems, as I am sure you do anyway considering you say she is older. I watch Feeby (14+) 'like a hawk'. :paranoid:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Here’s an article for you to read :-
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake

One way to check if your kitty is hydrated is to do the skin test. Gently lift up your kitty’s skin between the shoulder blades and release. If the skin feels elastic when released, meaning it goes back to shape after release, your kitty is hydrated. If the skin stays up and moves back down slowly, it means your kitty is dehydrated.

Last edited: