Drinkie Self-Cleaning Water fountain

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise

I saw this, and I actually like this. It self-cleans, it attracts cats to come back to drink, you can monitor how much its drinking (especially good for cats who don't drink enough).

The only think I am skeptical its that it's plastic, though BPA free and no filter.

What do you all think? Would you buy it when it comes on the market?

(I posted in Cats Meow for discussion as its not out on the market yet)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure it's worth it if it's plastic. You still have to check it. Wait for review. How well does it clean? Does it get rid of all the residue? It does sound interesting

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know; the video left me with several questions.
  • How much are they planning to charge?
  • How big is the hole the waste water goes through? Is it large enough to accommodate pieces of kibble?
  • Are they planning to sell replacement bowls, and if so how much will they cost?
  • When it cleans itself, how much force is behind the water it pushes into the bowl?
I'm thinking about the slime that tends to build up on plastic bowls, and which the plastic tends to cling to, a problem that becomes worse when the bowl gets scratched. I have my doubts that this can be properly dealt with just by flushing water through; I think it needs dish detergent.

Margret

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The problem I had with a plastic fountain was the mineral buildup. I just couldn't get it off unless I scraped it which risked damaging the plastic.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, fresh water isn't the problem with a fountain; it's the biofilm that builds up no matter what you do. I could dump and replace the water every day myself, the annoyance is having to take the darn thing apart for scrubbing, and I don't think this thing will fix that.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know; the video left me with several questions.
  • How much are they planning to charge?
  • How big is the hole the waste water goes through? Is it large enough to accommodate pieces of kibble?
  • Are they planning to sell replacement bowls, and if so how much will they cost?
  • When it cleans itself, how much force is behind the water it pushes into the bowl?
I'm thinking about the slime that tends to build up on plastic bowls, and which the plastic tends to cling to, a problem that becomes worse when the bowl gets scratched. I have my doubts that this can be properly dealt with just by flushing water through; I think it needs dish detergent.

Margret
I was thinking most of this as well. Especially about the slime. I have two fountains. Neither are in use. The slime was the biggest issue. Dealing with the pumps and filters was a close second. The self cleaning part is intriguing. I also wonder how that works.