Dried Up Sac

Status
Not open for further replies.

yessicaca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My pregnant cat just gave birth to 3 kittens. She stopped for about 3 hours before giving birth to another one while I was asleep. The last one is dried up and my queen won’t take care of the kitten, what do I do?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
writing, tell exactly what is happening???

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What exactly is happening? Is the kitten alive? If stillborn but fully normal, you can try to relive it.
Massage it up perhaps with a little towel, warm it up, try to get fluids from the mouth,

If you mean the sack is on the kitten, you can take it away with your nails. And proceed as above.
You will prob need to handfeed it some.
Begin with smearing water sweetened with honey on its lips and gum, it gives energy and buy you time...

If the kitten is dead or dying - comfort it and pray, and let it go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yessicaca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What exactly is happening? Is the kitten alive? If stillborn but fully normal, you can try to relive it.
Massage it up perhaps with a little towel, warm it up, try to get fluids from the mouth,

If you mean the sack is on the kitten, you can take it away with your nails. And proceed as above.
You will prob need to handfeed it some.
Begin with smearing water sweetened with honey on its lips and gum, it gives energy and buy you time...

If the kitten is dead or dying - comfort it and pray, and let it go.
The kitten is alive, but the sack is dried on it, it’s trying to feed. I’m still not sure to to remove the dried sack.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It needs warmth and to be able to eat to gain strength. Just try to peel as much as you can off, keep offering him to mo and see if she will clean him. Follow stefanZ's advise, he is really a good expert on kitten care. You might try wrapping him in a moist warm wash cloth to soften the sac if you are pulling his fur off. He needs taht sac off as soon as possible to be able to move freely and have mom help him go the bathroom.She needs to start licking him.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok, so its alive. Good. This with the sack still on, and momma perhaps too exahausted to take it off, itsnt unusual. And the owner / caretaker got to help to take off the sack. Di and Bob gave some good advices how to do it.
so its just to proceed as skissed up.

If momma is exhausted, you can smear HER lips and gum with this sweet water with honey...
Next step is to get her something containing calcium. If you have home goats milk or kmr for kittens, good. But a little cheese or youghurt is good too.

yessicaca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten is suckling on mom, but I’m not sure what you mean by the sweet water and honey.

yessicaca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat that I posted a few minutes ago may be blind. I looked at it’s eye and noticed that the slits are open. I’m not 100% sure though, if I want to take it to a vet what should I take with me?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
water sweetened with honey is sweet. Very useful to help exhausted, weak or lethargic kittens and humans. :)
Honey contains much glucose / dextrose, its this glucose which does the trick, goes into blood already in the mouth, and gives energy.

If the kitten is suckling, you dont need to do it. But make sure this kitten develops and gains as it shall.
Easiest is by weighting it, every 12 hours till you got sure it gains, later on every 24 hours.
They shall add 6grammes (1/5 ounce) a day as minimum, but preferably 10+ grammes, (1/3+ ounce)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness it is suckling, now if mom would just lick him a little bit everything would be fine. When she is cleaning one, try to substitute him in there. Is the sac off of him now? Did you happen to take a picture? I have never seen that,

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you use a warm, damp washcloth to help moisten and remove whatever is stuck to the kitten? Make sure it stays with mom and doesn’t catch a chill.

Can you post photos?

No need to go to the vet now. That’s risky for a newborn.

Are you able to keep mom inside and 100% away from intact males?

yessicaca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sadly the kitten had to be put down because of his condition. It wouldn’t have lived long and it would’ve lived a very painful life. Although I am thankful for all of you’re suggestions. The other three kittens she had are okay as of today.

yessicaca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet said there was something wrong with it’s brain and that it wouldn’t live long.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear about the kitten.

Are you able keep mom inside inside and away from intact males?

yessicaca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I am. I wouldn’t want to risk her running away or abandoning the kittens.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great. Do you need help finding a low cost clinic to spay mom in two months?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sadly the kitten had to be put down because of his condition. It wouldn’t have lived long and it would’ve lived a very painful life. Although I am thankful for all of you’re suggestions. The other three kittens she had are okay as of today.
Im wondering if it WAS a dried sack. It was perhaps some condition, some anomaly, making it looking as a dried sack. ?Very thickened skin perhaps??

If this sack was impossible to take away even when moistened, we can be pretty sure it was some sort of anomaly instead of the normal skin and fur.

And if so, yes of course the kitten was doomed.

Good you took it to the vet for consultation and help, instead of waiting till it died by itself.

The kittens soul is thus resting in peace.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry, I know it hurts to lose the little one, so innocent and tiny. Mom must have known, that is why she refused to help him. Nature is cruel sometimes, but it is instinct to spend the energy on those who will survive. I'll pray for his tiny soul, may he rest in peace.....

Status
Not open for further replies.