Dribbling One Year After PU Surgery

cheetah13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My cat had PU surgery almost exactly one year ago (December 24, 2021) after a pretty severe blockage and trauma in that region (ending with his prepuce outside of his body because he somehow ripped his catheter and stitches out when they were trying that method of unblocking him—just to put it into perspective). His recovery was as expected and he has been his normal, very rambunctious self since then. He had his first UTI post-surgery in September and recovered normally from that. I've now noticed him dribbling in his litter box. He's definitely peeing—and peeing a normal amount—but it's just coming out as a dribble? It is like this consistently every time he uses the box (around 2 times per day). Has anyone else dealt with this post-PU surgery?

He does have a vet appointment on Tuesday, but I'll take anything to sort of ease my mind or at least know what to expect going into the appointment. My biggest fear is scar tissue creating another blockage, but I'm not sure what that exactly looks like. I'm thinking it's not a UTI because he is not indicating he is in any pain and is not going to the box frequently. He is also on prescription wet food every morning with Cosequin, he eats prescription dry food throughout the day, and he does have a water fountain he drinks out of. I was able to send our vet a video of his dribble and they didn't think it was ER-vet-urgent, but definitely wanted to see him within the next couple of weeks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I have had a cat who had the surgery and was put on nonprescription canned food as the main food that he ate throughout the day. He got some kibble but not that much.

Maybe you could consider increasing his wet food. Hopefully this current situation is easily taken care of :vibes::crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheetah13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
I have had a cat who had the surgery and was put on nonprescription canned food as the main food that he ate throughout the day. He got some kibble but not that much.

Maybe you could consider increasing his wet food. Hopefully this current situation is easily taken care of :vibes::crossfingers:
Have you noticed him still dribbling afterwards or has he had a steady stream? I'll definitely try to give him more wet food throughout the day if it'll help.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you noticed him still dribbling afterwards or has he had a steady stream?
I unfortunately can't answer how things were for him immediately afterwards, as the surgery was done while he was still in his first household. But he never blocked again, and didn't ever have any issues when he came to us a couple years after that. (His first owner gave me all of his medical history, bless her heart :) ).