Dreadlocks?!?!?

angelb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone... just found your site by accident trying to find out what my baby Pandora could be possibly be saying to the birds outside! :-)

Was wondering if anyone out there knows about "dreadlocks" on a long-hair...? Pandora is 3yrs old, her momma was persian and that's all I really know about her lineage. We have a huge basement where she likes to hide (needless to say, it's not too clean down there) and over the winter months I haven't wanted to bathe her due to the cold. She has consistantly over the past few months developed various sizes, but several, clumps of fur just about everywhere except her little head and belly. Sometimes I find a big fur-ball that has fallen off of her during the day! With the weather warming up, it'll be bath time soon, so I'm hoping to allieviate most of the clumpage simply with bathing. Is it ok to use a metal/wire brush on cats? I had a dog when I was younger and used a metal brush, but my little kitties just seem too fragile for that.

BTW.... the older baby, Jaz, well... he'll sit still as long as you wanna brush him... got 3 months to brush? he says "OK". Pandora on the otherhand WILL NOT TAKE A BRUSHIN TO SAVE HER LIFE!!!

Any suggestions, comments or the like will be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

AngelB, Jaz & Pandora

badhabit

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My advice to you is if Pandora is matted do NOT bath her untill the matts are out because this will make them even harder to get out and simply washing her will not untangle them.

Pet shops sell a varity of different combs and brushes particulary with long haired cats in mind. I'm not quite sure what you mean by wire brushes, Pin brushes or slicker brushed? Is so they are fine to use with cats but they'll only do so much as far as getting matts out.

Please becareful if you decide to cut them out because you could slip or she could wiggle and cause the sissors to cut the skin. I've seen plenty of home grooming accidents and they're never pretty. The best way to get a mat out is to hold the hair as close to the base as possible without pinching the skin, and with your other hand armed with the comb gently pick at the mat untill it loosens a little. As it starts to seperate from her coat you can comb it out.

Since she doesn't care for you grooming her it might be best to have someone help. Or another option is to have her shaved down into a lion cut for the summer. I have my Persian shaved in a lion cut when it's warm and he loves it!(Or at least dosen't show too much dislike.)

spooky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Angel and welcome! Like the others said, brush the knots out first, then give her a bath or else it will cause a big mess and one unhappy kitty. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi... Just wanted to extend my thanks for your replies.
Gotta run... Have a wonderful day!

falling_rain21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome!! Keep the mats out by brushing regularily...long hair cats are "high-maitenance"...so to speak! lol...no, really....a brush a day will keep the mats away!!!:tounge2: