Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community
  1. Hey, Guest,
    Ever wondered if your cat is related to any breed? Or about their wild ancestry? Now's your chance to find out - and help promote research into feline health too!

We're giving away two genetic testing kits by Basepaws - Click here to enter the giveaway

Dreaded Maggots

Discussion in 'Grooming & General Cat Care' started by DF Douglas, May 16, 2018.

1. DF Douglas

DF Douglas Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

May 16, 2018
    I am a new person and feel really lucky to have found this site. If I make a mistake, just tell me please.
    I have a litter hopper. Plastic bag that when I have a week's worth of dirty litter. The bag is tied off and chucked into the garbage bag great is picked up the next day. I clean every day.
    Lo and behold there are maggots in the plastic lined bag. Apparently they want to climb out.
    I am not bothered by many things but snakes and maggots top the list.
    Please help me!
    Dodie

2. Furballsmom

Furballsmom TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    Hi! We're glad you're here!
    Can you tie off the bag more frequently to keep the flies out of it?
    I have a similar situation, a plastic bucket lined with a plastic bag and the bucket's lid.
    I only expose the dirty litter that's already in the bucket to the open air when I'm cleaning the litter trays (daily, sometimes twice daily), then the lid goes back on the bucket.

tabbytom purraised this.
  3. DF Douglas

May 16, 2018
    Thank you for your suggestion.
    the container that holds the scooped litter is covered and contained. The only tone it is open is when I drop the scooped litter in.
    after reading your response, I wonder if this is happening while poop etc. Is in litter box.
    i am so grossed out by maggots. I guess I will have to deal up bags an put them out everyday.
    i have never had this before with my others cats.
    thank for responding.

Furballsmom purraised this.
  4. Furballsmom

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    Is your cat's poo really stinky? You could perhaps try a different food that is digested better and so the resulting poo isn't so smelly.

tabbytom purraised this.
  5. DF Douglas

May 16, 2018
    The smell was really bad. Tried different kinfs. The only one that cut the smell is a wet Purina pate. Louis is a rescue that has probldms. Little by little he is getting better. He does not have any lower front teeth so I need the pate.
    Thanks for your response.

6. Furballsmom

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
  7. nansiludie

nansiludie TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 14, 2014
    I use those little dog waste bags and tie them up and then put those in an old empty Tidy Cats litter bucket with a lid and lined with another bag. I usually empty that once a day but that's on account of how many kitties I have. :lol: But before that, it worked just as well going for two to three days before dumping.

Furballsmom purraised this.
  8. lollie

lollie TCS Member Young Cat

Apr 28, 2018
    I used to do the doggie bag thing. I could still smell it. I finally got a Litter Genie pail system. Couldn't believe how well it worked. Once the clump of whatever is in there, you can't smell it at all.

9. DreamerRose

DreamerRose TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 11, 2015
    Naperville, IL
    I'm wondering if your cat has worms laying eggs that then hatch once the bag is in the garbage bin. Call your vet and see if you can get a stool sample checked.