Draining tube care

Chasep100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my 4 month old kitten had a bad infection where he got neutered because he was licking it all the time and the doctor had to drain a lot of bacteria out and leave the drainage tube in. My question is how do I clean the blood or drainage on his fur and how long do drainage tubes usually stay in ? She said he had a bad infection so she doesn’t know when we can take it out which seems alittle strange for me does that mean he has to have it in for a whole month or what ?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think, unfortunely, you need to dig deeper with your Vet to get your answers. They should have shown you how to clean the drainage area and given you a general idea of timing. Perhaps they really don't know the time frame. Sometimes things are based on how well things heal, which I'm guessing is the case here, but I would think a month is longer than to be expected. I would call them back and see if a Vet Tech can discuss how to clean with you. They are probably more available than the Vet.

I would think it would be fine to use something like Hibiclens (which you can get at most drug stores) mixed with warm water and use that wipe his fur around the drain, but be sure not to wipe too hard near the sutures. That's the key, being able to detect dried blood from sutures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chasep100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think, unfortunely, you need to dig deeper with your Vet to get your answers. They should have shown you how to clean the drainage area and given you a general idea of timing. Perhaps they really don't know the time frame. Sometimes things are based on how well things heal, which I'm guessing is the case here, but I would think a month is longer than to be expected. I would call them back and see if a Vet Tech can discuss how to clean with you. They are probably more available than the Vet.

I would think it would be fine to use something like Hibiclens (which you can get at most drug stores) mixed with warm water and use that wipe his fur around the drain, but be sure not to wipe too hard near the sutures. That's the key, being able to detect dried blood from sutures.
Okay thanks I think the warm water and washcloths is good it just so hard to get the blood out of his white fur.

Chasep100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4 month old kitten had to get a draining tube I just wanted to know if anyone has had expierence with this and what there time was like. Also my baby has a e collar on and the vet did it but it seems alittle right I know the 2 finger rule but I can only stick my pinky thumb under it. She said if it’s not like that it’ll come of though.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you can get a finger underneath it should be fine. Licking a wound is not uncommon in cats and most have no problems afterward, I have never had a collar applied after surgery. I had one cat that had an abscess and they drained it after surgery with a tube. there was no collar put on, he licked it a little but really didn't bother it. It was in for a few weeks, then the stitch clipped and it was pulled out. I hope your cat is on an antibiotic to help clear up the infection.

Chasep100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As long as you can get a finger underneath it should be fine. Licking a wound is not uncommon in cats and most have no problems afterward, I have never had a collar applied after surgery. I had one cat that had an abscess and they drained it after surgery with a tube. there was no collar put on, he licked it a little but really didn't bother it. It was in for a few weeks, then the stitch clipped and it was pulled out. I hope your cat is on an antibiotic to help clear up the infection.
Yes he is on a antibiotic , albon, also how did your cat react with the tube in him that long ???

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He really kinda ignored it. It was in his shoulder. He pulled it a little longer after time, but came through it fine. I never took a cat in with an abscess again after him, they did a whole lot more damage I thought with opening him up so much. He had a line of stitches about 8 inches long. I just let them drain naturally now and have never had a problem.