Draco's Nano Reef Journal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
thank you :)

I've moved my colt coral to a different part of the tank. Someone suggested that my frogspawn might be stinging it or vice versa, so hopefully it'll come back.

I am going to upgrade my tank a bit by adding light to the back area to grow Chaetos.. it's more natural to use than chemicals to help filter out the tank.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I moved out of my parents house, I had a 10 gallon saltwater reef tank. I loved that tank, especially my clownfish and shrimps (the shrimps!!)

I've been dying to restart it for a long time.. and today, I decided to take the plunge with the extra cash from my second job! WHOO!!! I bought a Eheim Aquastyle 9 gallon tank! I think it looks modern for my apartment!

I've set it up tonight.. the water is very cloudy, so I can't take pics of my tank in progress. I really wish I took step by step photos, I forgot! But.. this is the tank (Website photo). 

I can't wait till the water clears so I can arrange my live rocks! And I can't wait a few weeks to add corals and shrimps!!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I think I will be posting progress photos as I go along.. just to see everything grow!!
Your coral is beautiful.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
ok, Updated photos!

I havent added anything new to the tank since then. been trying to save money!

This is Ethel. She's a brat. She bites. HARD. She made me bleed once.

Fred is shy, but very entertaining!

Six. The Six-line Wrasse (I love this shot)

Six saying hello to a hermit crab.

Just a few of my zoas.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should be more careful if you know she bites. I like the mauve fishy.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I know! She bis very aggressive, she doesn't like my hand in the tank and will chase and bite me- it's hard to avoid it when I have to do things inside the tank!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, didn't know fish bit people, well except for piranhas!  Maybe she suspects you like cats better than fish and therefore feels a bit threatened. 

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
LOL, I am sure she does feel threatened!!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had heard that clowns without an anemone can be aggressive.  Many anemones can be aggressive which is probably why the clowns aren't when they are partnered up with one.  

Your tank is so pretty, looks like it is time to get a bigger tank and expand. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know! She bis very aggressive, she doesn't like my hand in the tank and will chase and bite me- it's hard to avoid it when I have to do things inside the tank!
wear a rubber glove or take her out and put her into water in a tea cup while you're doing what you're doing.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I can't do that. She is impossible to catch. Plus I don't like taking my saltwater fish out even for a few minutes- it stresses them out too much. They are not freshwater fish. And I don't like wearing gloves since I can't feel what I am doing. I chase her away with my algae scraper lolIf I had a bigger tank I would get an anemone. They are not suitable for me right now

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Your tank looks great! Love it! The fish are awesome, never seen a bat fish but OMG could it be any cuter with its lipstick ? [emoji]128514[/emoji]

Love your clown fish- def an old time fav along with Puffer fish :D

Salt water tanks are so cool and addicting hahaha

Can't wait to see more :)

trixiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had no idea fish could bite so hard! It's been a while since I've last posted, and I know I'm repeating myself, but your tank is so pretty! I'm curious, is there a big difference having a saltwater tank vs a freshwater, money-wise?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had a saltwater tank years ago.  The way I remember, it took longer and was more expensive to get set up.  Once we got it right it pretty much took care of itself.  The fish and invertebrates are generally more expensive than the freshwater fish.  They weren't exorbitant in price though at least the ones that we bought.  We did learn a hard lesson though and set up a small tank to use as a quarantine tank.  We infected our big tank with an infection called ich from a new hogfish.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Freshwater is certainly much, much cheaper and easier to maintain, especially if you go all natural with live plants!

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Draco - Love your tank.

I was wondering if you use a canister filter, if so what brand.  I'm trying to research as my Penn Plax just gave out on me after 9 years, it's a bit overwhelming with everything on the market today.

Thanks.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Hi @2Cats4everLoved  !

I've since upgraded to 75 gal tank with a 30 gal sump. I use a protein skimmer- no canisters. It is said canister filters are nitrate factories for a salt water tank. If you have a fresh water, I am not sure which would be good.