Draco's Nano Reef Journal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Yes to a marine tank, or yes to a betta tank???

Which one did you join? I used to be part of UltimateBettas. Haven't logged there in ages!

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A betta tank, I nearly joined that one but went with bettafish.

I should probably find one a bit closer to home to so I can find out where the reputable breeders are here as you can't exactly adopt a fish lol!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
aquabid.com is a great place to buy betta online.. so many beautiful show-quality fish! I used to buy from there to breed!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have seen something called living rock.  We didn't have anything like that in the tanks that we had but I thought that it both looked and sounded interesting.  I think it would probably be good for the aquarium environment, kind of a way of more closely recreating a natural environment.

Are you going to get an anenome and clown fish.  We had them and one of our damsels would also lay in the anenome.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Live rocks aren't exactly "living". It just really means it becomes an ideal habitat for many living creatures, visible to the eye and not. It also helps control ammonia levels with beneficial bacteria once its cycled and cured.

I haven't decided on fish  yet.. I know I do not want anemones since they do get big and travel.. I only have a 9 gal tank. I am thinking maybe a goby.. not sure which ones yet. I've pictured a few here for reference. I want to get my inverts and corals first before getting a fish or two.

Clown Goby:

Catalina Goby:

Purple Firefish:

Prawn Goby:

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to restart on my hook rugging again but just don't have any energy.  

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I'm leaning towards a pair of fire fish and maybe a blenny. I'll wait a few months.. i want to get my corals established first!

my first 3 corals. First two are Coral Polyps. The green is a mushroom (its not fully opened). they're about the size of a quarter now. they're really bright green, photos does not show justice!

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
The shrimps appear to be doing very well. They get excited when the lights turn on in the morning. I love watching their energy!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shrimps appear to be doing very well. They get excited when the lights turn on in the morning. I love watching their energy!
Alright. Now we have to have videos. :D

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Do they have names?

A girl I work with has a fish of some kind and she named him "Norm."  Apparently he's quite interactive with her and will go to the glass when she approaches, but not when her husband does. She swears that Norm knows her, and since we don't really have a great understanding about the brains of fish, he likely does.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I will have to take a video! Good idea!

No names. I was going to name them Fred and Ethel, then I remembered I had a pair of clowns named that. I can't think of a cute pair names!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I will have to take a video! Good idea!

No names. I was going to name them Fred and Ethel, then I remembered I had a pair of clowns named that. I can't think of a cute pair names!
What about something from one of these links?

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/namelists/a/namespairs.htm

http://www.petbabynames.com/Names/pairs.php

http://www.favorite-puppy-names.com/cute-puppy-names.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080808160546AAUgLlD

http://www.geni.com/projects/Famous-Couples-in-History/2785

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
great links! I will have to go through when I have more time!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I still haven't decided on a name yet for my shrimps. 

But wanted to share photos of one of my nassarius  snails. I have two.. the other's always hiding under the sand. These guys dig under the sand, sift it and eat whatever leftovers they find. Very helpful! I never see them since they're always busy at work. Took the opportunity to snap a few pics!