Dr. Murphy's Nature's Feast Cat Food?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, sorry. I missed the kelp in the supplement list! That's where the calcium is probably from then,. But I would still call the company to double check about bone.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
yes, I don't trust chewy's response as well and emailed the company, waiting for their reply.
You may have missed my post, but the ingredients contain kelp which is often used as a calcium supplement, so it could indeed be boneless.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen a product that had both whole ground bone and a calcium supplement but I guess it isn't out of the question.
Tiki Cat Raw has whole bird grind, bone broth, and tricalcium phosphate. I wonder if that's why it's bunging up poor Krista. I like that she likes it and I like that it seems to have stopped her clostridium squirts. But a new season of Krista Test Kitchen has to commence where I once again see if I can find a recipe or premix she will eat besides Rad Cat which we don't have anymore or Tiki which she doesn't eat enough of.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Tiki Cat Raw has whole bird grind, bone broth, and tricalcium phosphate. I wonder if that's why it's bunging up poor Krista. I like that she likes it and I like that it seems to have stopped her clostridium squirts. But a new season of Krista Test Kitchen has to commence where I once again see if I can find a recipe or premix she will eat besides Rad Cat which we don't have anymore or Tiki which she doesn't eat enough of.
I feel like that might be an indication that the product has a lot of bone. It could possibly mean that there is excess phosphorus that needs to the balanced out with the calcium supplement? Do they provide phosphorus values?

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, kelp is often used as an iodine source. It's also rich in calcium, although I'm not sure how much. I am assuming it is the primary calcium source for the diet since I don't see any others in the ingredient list (unless it has bone).

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kelp is usually used as a source of iodine. It doesn't contain enough calcium to be a primary calcium source.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kelp is usually used as a source of iodine. It doesn't contain enough calcium to be a primary calcium source.
That's what I thought. I do use a seaweed calcium source in place of eggshell or bone meal. But that says, "seaweed derived calcium." I also have kelp capsules that I plan to use for the iodine source.

Before I start a new thread about this and await your knowledgeable response ;) , I am wondering if there is any correction factor for duck egg yolks vs chicken egg yolks in a raw recipe. I'm thinking Krista has a chicken egg sensitivity and plan to see if that's also the case with duck eggs.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately the USDA database doesn't have an entry for duck yolk. Comparing the entries for raw, whole duck and chicken eggs though shows that the duck egg generally is higher in almost everything. The exceptions are copper, riboflavin, choline and vit D. But even those are close enough to possibly fall within a margin for error. I'd go ahead and sub them with no worries!

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Wouldn’t that depend on how much kelp is added? Though I guess they couldn’t add too much without also increasing the iodine above max levels. I suppose we are back to the food likely containing bone.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wouldn’t that depend on how much kelp is added?
True. But you would need to add 10 lbs of kelp to your 4.6 lb turkey recipe to get enough calcium to meet the AAFCO recommendation. Pretty sure your cats wouldn't eat it though.

If you used dried kelp I think it would that less than 2 lbs. They probably still wouldn't like it.

I suppose we are back to the food likely containing bone.
Yeah, think so.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, I don't trust chewy's response as well and emailed the company, waiting for their reply.
@lisamarie12 contacted the company about the calcium in Meat Mates, which just happens to have same address as Feline Natural. Here's the thread: "meat Mates" Freeze Dried Chicken - Bone Or Calcium Supplement?

I stopped feeding Feline Natural, which our cats absolutely loved, because of the company's response to her. (It also didn't help that the price went up!) I really don't like that they're not forthcoming about their "chicken" ingredient almost certainly including bone. It's just not right. And one of our cats tends to get constipated.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t even want to eat kelp myself, pretty sure my cats would hate it. :headshake:

Thanks lisahe lisahe . I forgot about that thread! Completely agree that this is exactly why I’m making my own food. (Well, one of the reasons).

Edit: I actually do feed feline natural canned sometimes though and I always thought they were a decent company. This makes me kind of upset...

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad I make my own cat food so I don't have to deal with those people.
I know! This is one of the reasons I make about half our cats' food these days.

Edit: I actually do feed feline natural canned sometimes though and I always thought they were a decent company. This makes me kind of upset...
Yes, same here. Their response to lisamarie12 put me over the edge on Feline Natural, which was already on the borderline for its high price. It seems like decent food but the company's not being forthcoming about things like bone content, which can have a huge effect on many cats, and that's just plain irresponsible.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, here is the response I got from Dr Marty's regarding the calcium in their product.

Here is what I asked:
Hello, I was looking at your freeze dried product for cats and don't see any calcium source listed in the ingredient list. Does it really not contain any calcium? In fact, is it formulated to meet AAFCO nutrient guidelines?
And this is their response:
In response to your email our Natures Feast does not contain any calcium however AAFCO does not endorse any dog or cat foods. However, our product meets AAFCO nutrient profile standards and we have registered it with the state regulators, many of whom are following AAFCO documentation. Our products are produced in manufacturing facilities that have NSF GMP certification and are audited by the FDA and have passing results
So it contains no calcium but does meet AAFCO nutrient recommendations? I'm guessing it actually does contain bone and the, likely not well informed, representative who responded isn't aware that bone is a calcium source.

Given the price and the poor customer support, I am greatly underwhelmed.

The more I look at the Fresh Is Best the more excited I get. I'm impressed with the information on their web site. It at least gives the impression they know what they are doing. Only thing is some of the information obviously refers to their frozen raw product which contains bone but is only sold locally and isn't on their web site. Someone who doesn't know they have a frozen raw product might be confused by they read.

Last edited:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The more I look at the Fresh Is Best the more excited I get. I'm impressed with the information on their web site. It at least gives the impression they know what they are doing. Only thing is some of the information obviously refers to their frozen raw product which contains bone but is only sold locally and isn't on their web site. Someone who doesn't know they have a frozen raw product might be confused by they read.
You sold me on trying Fresh Is Best, I checked with them and they say the amount of veggies in their formulas is 10%. I can swallow it if it's otherwise good. I'd go for Turkey as at least it doesn't have yams as chicken formula does and somehow yams sound... wrong. Now I just need to find a store to order a bag for me locally and hope my cats would like it.

I actually fed Meat Mates canned to my cats and they loved it, but I'll stop. I hate companies like that. Thanks lisahe lisahe for showing me this previous thread. They still haven't responded to my email btw.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your kitty likes the Fresh Is Best. I hope mine do too but the one I need it for will eat anything so I'm not too worried about that.

I ordered mine from Amazon and it will arrive tomorrow. You can also order directly from the manufacturer web site.

Yams are a great source of B vitamins. Also, soluble fiber for maintaining a healthy gut!

Last edited:

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Well, here is the response I got from Dr Marty's regarding the calcium in their product.

Here is what I asked:

And this is their response:

So it contains no calcium but does meet AAFCO nutrient recommendations? I'm guessing it actually does contain bone and the, likely not well informed, representative who responded isn't aware that bone is a calcium source.

Given the price and the poor customer support, I am greatly underwhelmed.

What the...... :eek: