Dr. Murphy's Nature's Feast Cat Food?

claralou@101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey,
I was looking for good options. Dr. Marty's Natures Feast looks like a good option though expensive. A few faced refund issues and now it is making me wonder about my buying decision. Any one of you faces it?"

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Much to expensive for me, I will stick to my obligate carnivore canned sans fruit and vegetables wet food

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very expensive. It might be what I have been looking for though - A freeze dried product that doesn't contain bone. I have need for a freeze dried product but I hate the tiny shards of bone in all the ones I have found.

BUT, the Dr Marty's product not only doesn't contain bone it doesn't list any alternative source of calcium in the ingredients. I've emailed them about that and also about whether their product meets AAFCO recommendations. I'll let you know how they respond.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very expensive. It might be what I have been looking for though - A freeze dried product that doesn't contain bone. I have need for a freeze dried product but I hate the tiny shards of bone in all the ones I have found.

BUT, the Dr Marty's product not only doesn't contain bone it doesn't list any alternative source of calcium in the ingredients. I've emailed them about that and also about whether their product meets AAFCO recommendations. I'll let you know how they respond.
I don't think it's safe to assume it is boneless. Unless they say otherwise, I assume "turkey" and "duck" (but maybe not "beef") are whole animal grinds.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I agree. That's why I sent them an email. But they do claim the published ingredient list is the complete ingredients.

But, in the mean time, I've found Fresh Is Best. From the ingredient list it seems to be AAFCO compliant AND uses MCHA as the calcium source. That's my favorite calcium source! The product is much less expensive than Dr Marty's. It's more expensive than the Stella & Chewy I currently use but only by about 18% and that is what I would expect since I know MCHA is expensive.

Most of you guys won't like Fresh is Best though because it contains veggies. ;)

Freeze Dried Cat Food

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I agree. That's why I sent them an email. But they do claim the published ingredient list is the complete ingredients.

But, in the mean time, I've found Fresh Is Best. From the ingredient list it seems to be AAFCO compliant AND uses MCHA as the calcium source. That's my favorite calcium source! The product is much less expensive than Dr Marty's. It's more expensive than the Stella & Chewy I currently use but only by about 18% and that is what I would expect since I know MCHA is expensive.

Most of you guys won't like Fresh is Best though because it contains veggies. ;)

Freeze Dried Cat Food
That has gizzards and that turkey in the first ingredient doesn't necessarily mean boneless muscle meat. Did you contact them about the bone percent?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen a product that had both whole ground bone and a calcium supplement but I guess it isn't out of the question.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard of some dog raw feeders adding calcium supplements to bone-based raw food to balance out the calcium-phosphorus ratio. It's possible that they could do this if they are using lots of bone?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The MCHA used in Fresh Is Best is freeze dried bone. So if they did that they would just be adding calcium and phosphorus in the same ratio as the whole bone.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
The MCHA used in Fresh Is Best is freeze dried bone. So if they did that they would just be adding calcium and phosphorus in the same ratio as the whole bone.
Ah, good point. Then I'd agree that there likely is no bone but would still contact them to confirm.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
mschauer mschauer why do you like MCHA best? What are the pros over eggshell or even real bone? Just curious!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it is freeze dried, nutrients are almost 100% preserved and since it is made from whole bone that means it has the full nutrient profile of whole bone.

I don't use whole bone because of the difficulty of determining the nutrient profile of what gets used. I was able to get a full nutrient profile of MCHA from the manufacturer.

But, MCHA is very expensive. I used to have a source of it at a very reasonable, still relatively expensive but reasonable, price. When I lost that source I switched to calcium carbonate.

I don't have anything against eggshell. It has almost an identical nutrient profile as calcium carbonate.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Since it is freeze dried, nutrients are almost 100% preserved and since it is made from whole bone that means it has the full nutrient profile of whole bone.

I don't use whole bone because of the difficulty of determining the nutrient profile of what gets used. I was able to get a full nutrient profile of MCHA from the manufacturer.

But, MCHA is very expensive. I used to have a source of it at a very reasonable, still relatively expensive but reasonable, price. When I lost that source I switched to calcium carbonate.

I don't have anything against eggshell. It has almost an identical nutrient profile as calcium carbonate.
That does sound more appealing than eggshell. I often worry about the availability of nutrients with eggshell. But, the kitties seem to be doing fine on it.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise

That does sound more appealing than eggshell. I often worry about the availability of nutrients with eggshell. But, the kitties seem to be doing fine on it.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for hijacking, but I've seen this product recently, chewy claims it has no bones, to me it looks like a good freeze dried option that I'm considering (if it has no bones), would you guys try it? But then, what is the calcium source if they don't use bones... And the price is suspiciously low, don't you think?
https://www.chewy.com/meat-mates-chicken-dinner-grain-free/dp/186420

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for hijacking, but I've seen this product recently, chewy claims it has no bones, to me it looks like a good freeze dried option that I'm considering (if it has no bones), would you guys try it? But then, what is the calcium source if they don't use bones... And the price is suspiciously low, don't you think?
I think it actually has bone. I have found that the Chewy reps who respond to questions are often just flat wrong. I feel like they just looked at the ingredient list and assume that the chicken doesn't contain bone. I would contact the actual company to clarify.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m going to assume that’s a whole chicken grind with bones since there is no other calcium source here. Otherwise, that’s an unbalanced and incomplete food.