Dr Elseys?

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is anyone feeding Dr Elseys dry kibble and/or wet food? I’m thinking of giving it a try Any opinions appreciated

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The chicken and the turkey wet are in my rotation and my cat loves them. I also fed the turkey to my elderly cat and it was one of the few foods her stomach could tolerate well (she had a variety of illnesses). As far as ingredients go, they're one of the best canned foods out there.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats are extremely picky eaters and they love the DE dry food. I get the chicken variety. The wet food is another story. They don't like it at all. They aren't big on pates though. The DE dry is the only one they will eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That’s so much for the reply’s I think I’ll order the dry first as my two much prefer it I can only get them to eat wet at one meal On line it seems you have to order a case of wet at a time Do you know if it can be bought individually in pet supply stores? Would hate to order a case without knowing they at least will give it a try

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That’s so much for the reply’s I think I’ll order the dry first as my two much prefer it I can only get them to eat wet at one meal On line it seems you have to order a case of wet at a time Do you know if it can be bought individually in pet supply stores? Would hate to order a case without knowing they at least will give it a try
The big pet stores don't sell it. You can try an independent pet store. Dr. Elsey's used to give free samples of the canned and dry foods. You can ask them if they still do that. Dr. Elsey’s cleanprotein™ Cat Food – feed protein, not plants

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't guarantee this, but in the past, Chewy.com has had a very generous "return" policy if your cat doesn't like something (usually they refund it and ask you to donate it).

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's does send out samples: they sent me two little packs of Clean Protein. I use it as treats, for topper, and as a very small pre-breakfast snack. Other than treats and that tiny snack, our cats eat only wet food but Dr. E's is very decent food and our cats absolutely love it.

The wet food seems good, too, but I can't feed it because it contains agar-agar, which makes both our cats barf!

molly92 molly92 is right about Chewy's policies. I've never had a food failure but when they sent me a bunch of extra food by mistake (right when lockdowns started and they were outrageously busy) and I asked what to do, they just said to donate/keep it. Since it's all (except the huge extra tub of freeze-dried liver!) stuff we'll use, I made a donation to the shelter where we adopted our cats.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just emailed dr Elseys to ask about samples I’m excited to try this Hope my boys agree!

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hope it works out for you! I feed my cat Dr Elsey's wet, and she loves it. Have bought the beef, turkey and now we're on duck (food allergies so no chicken) and she's eaten them all no problem.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just heard back from their website They are sending me some samples of both dry varieties and I could choose 4 of the wet flavors This is great I have high hopes for this brand Will let you guys know if my cats agree

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love thier canned food. After lots of searching I have found it to be the best quality food that's not super expensive like rawz or tiki after dark. Occasionally have good sales!

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you buy from chewy or amazon?

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok samples arrived and they were a hit. Ordered both flavors of dry that should be here tomorrow. Here a question though Do u guys go by the daily feeding amounts listed ? Doesn’t seem like much My two boys turn 1 yr old this month so my plan is to decrease the amount avalible But up to now I have fed them like kittens This will be a big decrease I am placing an order for a Variety case of Dr Elseys wet they currently eat one wet meal at night of Sheba’s They split a half portion and don’t finish that I do wish dr elseys came in smaller cans. Your thoughts please

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I go by calories. Using daily feeding amounts led to an overweight kitty for me, and now we're having to work hard to get her back to a healthy weight

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Kinda like I dont go by how much I weigh, but how I look. Am I muscular? Do I work out? High metabolism? My niece is 6 feet high and wears a size 13 in men's shoes. She is skinny. My cat Maggie eats more than one can. She is 9 pds. Big in size. Peaches is 7pds3/4 can,same as coco,8 pds. I have never fed my cats dry so can't help much there

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go by calories. Using daily feeding amounts led to an overweight kitty for me, and now we're having to work hard to get her back to a healthy weight
Kinda like I dont go by how much I weigh, but how I look. Am I muscular? Do I work out? High metabolism? My niece is 6 feet high and wears a size 13 in men's shoes. She is skinny. My cat Maggie eats more than one can. She is 9 pds. Big in size. Peaches is 7pds3/4 can,same as coco,8 pds. I have never fed my cats dry so can't help much there
Yes, calories is probably the best guide. And, like maggie101 maggie101 , I don't weigh the cats, I look at them and notice how much I can feel their ribs and/or spines when I pick them up or pet them. Our cats' appetites and activity levels fluctuate a fair bit so feeding them the same amount all the time just doesn't work.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so if I go by calories how many per lb? Sorry for the dumb questions Just want to start this out right Thanks for the help