Dr Elseys Or Young Again

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those that feed Dr elseys or young again. How many cats you feed and how long a bag lasts you?

according to the young again consumption calculator, I only have to feed few tablespoons a day, is this accurate?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read quite of few people on the feline diabetes forum having the same experience with it. So I'm leaning towards Dr elseys

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
i tried both with my cat, neither worked as a primary food. Freya hated Young Again and wouldn't eat it. I also tried Dr Elsey's, and she loved ti so much she'd scarf ti down and throw up.

I do give a few pieces of Dr Elsey's as a treat, though.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have anyone tried wysong epigen or epigen 90?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i tried both with my cat, neither worked as a primary food. Freya hated Young Again and wouldn't eat it. I also tried Dr Elsey's, and she loved ti so much she'd scarf ti down and throw up.

I do give a few pieces of Dr Elsey's as a treat, though.
Yeah I asked for an sample from Dr elsey's couple years ago and from what I remember they liked it. I also asked for a sample from young again almost couple weeks ago and am hoping to get it soon.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am thinking feeding 5.5oz special kitty from walmart. Maybe start off with a can and half and see how he does. It would cost 52 cents a day to feed vs like 80 cents for Dr elseys.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
I am thinking feeding 5.5oz special kitty from walmart. Maybe start off with a can and half and see how he does. It would cost 52 cents a day to feed vs like 80 cents for Dr elseys.
Please don't feed your cats Special kitty. Walmart pet food is probably the absolute worst petfood there is. I cant' find a review of the canned, but the review posted about the dry food is the stuff of nightmares.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so you think I should go with Dr elseys dry for him? i want him to lose some weight and I thought the cheapest wet food is better than the best dry food.

on side note I've been feeding him(Tucker) and all my cats special kitty outdoor dry all or most of their lives and theyve been fine. But I switch to Purina one dry for my other cats. now I'm trying to figure out what to feed Tucker, what would be best for him to lose weight?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Special Kitty canned pate flavors are OK. Not any worse than Friskies, and, yes, any canned food will work for general weight loss. I use the occasional can of Special Kitty. My cats do better on Friskies though.

I don't recommend dry SK or Friskies though. Purina ONE is OK.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'm going to feed him a 1 1/2 5.5oz cans a day which would be around 250cal or so and see how he does on it. If he loses weight too fast I will increase it.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ten thousand ferals eat Special Kitty Super Supper Pate. The local Walmart in each area where we have apartment complexes will donate cans if we agree to put their weekly flyer on the community bulletin board. I realize Special Kitty is far and away from the best food out there . . . but I've always been happy to be able to feed the feral/strays wet food.

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I compare their mixed grill dinner 5.5oz to their bigger cans 13oz and 22oz and while it appears to be all the same ingredients, they are in different order in each can, is there a reason for this?

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, mwallace056, I don't know. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am will chime in.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quick question I want to feed the bigger cans the 22oz, so if there 756 calories in a can and I want to feed 250 calories. how much do I weigh out?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's the math to figure that out?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would this work also?