Dr Elsey's Cleanprotein Duck?

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried Dr Elsey's Cleanprotein duck flavor? I live in a smaller town where the stores don't carry most high-quality food, so I have to commit to buying an entire case from Chewy without being able to try first.

So far my guy likes Merrick rabbit, Nulo beef, I and Love and You rabbit, and the occasional can of Earthborne Catalina Catch and Petguard chicken and wheatgerm. They're not a fan of most chicken or turkey, so I'm looking for some variety. Is Dr Elsey's pretty well-received? I've done a search and see lots of talk of it when it goes on sale, but haven't discerned whether it's generally well-liked by the finicky felines?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know but I hope for responses. Have you asked Chewy about returns? Have you checked with the manufacturer for samples? Try both avenues before risking getting stuck with Duck. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don’t know but I hope for responses. Have you asked Chewy about returns? Have you checked with the manufacturer for samples? Try both avenues before risking getting stuck with Duck. ;)
I could check with the manufacturer for samples, good idea! Was hoping there might be people who could speak to the consistency of the product, but if I can get a sample to try for my guys, even better!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I could check with the manufacturer for samples, good idea! Was hoping there might be people who could speak to the consistency of the product, but if I can get a sample to try for my guys, even better!
Dr. Elsey's does give samples. Let them know you want to try it out first here: Contact | Dr. Elsey's

My cats love the DE chicken dry. Especially Lilith. The wet? Nope. I wish they liked it but it was a massive fail. I tried toppers, mixing it with other foods, nothing. Good luck.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's does give samples. Let them know you want to try it out first here: Contact | Dr. Elsey's

My cats love the DE chicken dry. Especially Lilith. The wet? Nope. I wish they liked it but it was a massive fail. I tried toppers, mixing it with other foods, nothing. Good luck.
Thanks Kat! That's what I was hoping to find out. I'll contact them for samples for sure before ordering a case, now.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're really good about samples! I wrote to ask for a sample of the chicken dry food, to use as a treat, and they sent out two little packets very quickly. It works great as a treat and nighttime snack (to avoid bile barfs) so I made sure to write and tell them I went on to buy some food after using the the samples. I did that because I hope they keep up the sample program, which (based on the postage) is not cheap!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I hate to take advantage of generous customer service policies if I can help it. I'm sure many businesses are hurting after COVID.
I emailed Dr Elsey's and offered to pay shipping for the sample. Will see what my boys think and report back. Thanks guys! :)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I hate to take advantage of generous customer service policies if I can help it. I'm sure many businesses are hurting after COVID.
I emailed Dr Elsey's and offered to pay shipping for the sample. Will see what my boys think and report back. Thanks guys! :)
I dont like hurting the business either but shelters do need help so take it to petco

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I am single handedly keeping Chewy in business lately. I keep finding new stuff I want for the babies. I never had one of our pets like me as much as the kittens do. They must know a sucker when they see it. We will act like we love mommy best and she will buy us all this stuff!!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They'll pay for the shipping -- it's part of their business model! I'm sure those samples pay off for them even if the food doesn't work out for everybody! It did in our case and I'll definitely continue to buy.

I think I am single handedly keeping Chewy in business lately.
Ha ha, I've been using Chewy more than ever now, too. I really hate shopping but used to actually enjoy going to local stores to buy as much as I could... but now the cats' rotation has changed so buying more locally would take more stores than ever and lots of key things aren't available in stores anyway, so Chewy it is. Plus there's the pandemic!

GretaHoney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two will both consistently eat Dr. Elsey's chicken pate, and turkey pate (they LOVE Dr. Elsey's chicken dry food, but I only pull that out as a treat, or if they are being really picky and I need them to just eat something).

I took a chance on the duck flavor pate a couple weeks ago and my two are not a fan sadly. If I mix it half and half with Fancy Feast turkey and giblets they will eat it, but that's the only way I'm getting through this case.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My two will both consistently eat Dr. Elsey's chicken pate, and turkey pate (they LOVE Dr. Elsey's chicken dry food, but I only pull that out as a treat, or if they are being really picky and I need them to just eat something).

I took a chance on the duck flavor pate a couple weeks ago and my two are not a fan sadly. If I mix it half and half with Fancy Feast turkey and giblets they will eat it, but that's the only way I'm getting through this case.
Thanks so much for the feedback! I have one that recently turned really picky. He will only gladly eat the junk food but eschews the healthier choices. I'm desperately trying to find healthy food that he'll eat consistently. I am learning where the phrase finicky feline comes from!