Dr Elsey's Clean Protein Chicken- Shortage

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats that love Dr Elsey's clean protein chicken kibble. However, in the last several months it's been very hard to find. Chewy has been out but I was still able to buy it from Amazon. Now they're also out. Dr Elsey's has been out of the wet chicken flavor and claim they had an issue with quality control at the canning company and was switching companies. That's been for at least 2 months.

I've contacted the company several times and at first they said they're was an egg shortage causing delays and now they're saying it's a shipping issue.

Does anyone know if they're getting out of the cat food business because it sure seems like it. I guess I need to start looking for another brand to switch to.

czuva

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They’re probably experiencing supply chain issues like many brands since the start of the pandemic. There are problems getting ingredients and raw material needed for the packaging (eg aluminum for cans). Additionally, there also could be problems with manufacturing as different countries adjust their COVID lockdowns.

I also feed CleanProtein chicken kibble and doubt Dr. Elsey’s is getting out of the food business. Their website had a notice about pandemic related shortages a while ago when I was checking as well.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also feed Dr Elsey dry food and noticed Chewy said it was unavailable. I plan on feeding Tiki Cat until I can get more of the other.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Just a quick note about the catinfo.org chart: It hasn’t been updated since 2017, sadly, and the manufacturers often change their formulas. Catfooddb.com seems to update regularly.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need phosphorus levels of the cat food. For Kidneys but thanks.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Looks like the kibble might soon be available. I found this update on the Dr. Elsey’s website:
01A549BA-F5BA-48EE-93FB-3CAEDAB3163E.jpeg

kbstarfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats that love Dr Elsey's clean protein chicken kibble. However, in the last several months it's been very hard to find. Chewy has been out but I was still able to buy it from Amazon. Now they're also out. Dr Elsey's has been out of the wet chicken flavor and claim they had an issue with quality control at the canning company and was switching companies. That's been for at least 2 months.

I've contacted the company several times and at first they said they're was an egg shortage causing delays and now they're saying it's a shipping issue.

Does anyone know if they're getting out of the cat food business because it sure seems like it. I guess I need to start looking for another brand to switch to.

kbstarfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This seems to be an issue again. My cats love Dr. Elsey's Chicken Dry and I love it for their health, but I think since this is such a problem for them and since they only make it in Colorado and cannot keep up with demand sometimes, also...I may permanantly switch to something else. Does anyone have any suggestions for Chicken flavor, low carb, high protein, dry food?

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
K kbstarfish I am thinking of switch to Tiki Cat Born Carnivore for my cats. It does contain peas though which I’ll too not too thrilled about. I used to feed Instinct Ultimate Protein which is another high protein chicken formula but then they changed the formula to tapoica as one of the first ingredients and was extremely crumbly. Just can’t win with these companies it seems.

kbstarfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
K kbstarfish I am thinking of switch to Tiki Cat Born Carnivore for my cats. It does contain peas though which I’ll too not too thrilled about. I used to feed Instinct Ultimate Protein which is another high protein chicken formula but then they changed the formula to tapoica as one of the first ingredients and was extremely crumbly. Just can’t win with these companies it seems.

kbstarfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I hear ya!! I was making my own and using an additive that The Catsite recommends, but one cat liked it and the other didn't...SO.....you can't win with the cats either!! LOL!

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I am not feeding that! It has chicken and turkey meal in it!!
I’m not recommending anything. In fact, I feed my cats only wet food but use the Dr. Elsey’s dry for a treat. I was suggesting that the site’s value is in its listing of ingredients and dry matter analysis for lots of (U.S.) cat foods. I’ve spent a lot of time squinting at labels in the store; this site saves me from doing that. Here’s the main page with all of the brands listed: CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

kbstarfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not recommending anything. In fact, I feed my cats only wet food but use the Dr. Elsey’s dry for a treat. I was suggesting that the site’s value is in its listing of ingredients and dry matter analysis for lots of (U.S.) cat foods. I’ve spent a lot of time squinting at labels in the store; this site saves me from doing that. Here’s the main page with all of the brands listed: CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat
Oh, I see. I appreciate your help with this. I am so aggravated because I was very happy with Dr. Elsey's nutrition list and how my cats liked it. I spent LOTS OF TIME researching cat food before I found it on my own. I was not a catsite member st that time, so I looked at cat food sites until I was ready to scream!! I have finally found where I can get 2 2 lb bags of it for $13.27, so that actually saves me a little money. Now I just have more bags to open, but it will stay fresh longer, I guess. ;)