Dr Elsey's Clean Protein Chicken- Shortage

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
K kbstarfish I feel the same, but the options are so limited for dry food with no animal meal. And then I hear the argument too that pure animal meat doesn’t even amount to much as dry food ingredients once all the water is taken out. So who knows?

kbstarfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
K kbstarfish I feel the same, but the options are so limited for dry food with no animal meal. And then I hear the argument too that pure animal meat doesn’t even amount to much as dry food ingredients once all the water is taken out. So who knows?
I am not comfortable leaving it up to a guess, I value my 2 kitties lives more than most humans I know! With that being said, I find it irrepressible

kbstarfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not comfortable leaving it up to a guess, I value my 2 kitties lives more than most humans I know, (kitties don't lie and steal)! With that being said, I find it morally repressible to just guess or "take a stab in the dark" at what people's precious pets are consuming and whether or not they are benefiting from it. I made a promise and dedicated myself to taking the best possible care of them I could when I adopted them as kittens. I care for them as I did my children, they do not get second best. It is obvious to me now that no one can produce a dry cat food that is good enough. Dr. Elsey's has had issues as far back as 2017. For what reasons, I don't think we will honestly know the answer. I know people LOVE using COVID AS AN EXCUSE, but they had problems before that. I wish I knew how to make my own kibble...lol

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried freeze dried raw? Sorry, if it was already mentioned.

kbstarfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried freeze dried raw? Sorry, if it was already mentioned.
I have not tried anything to do with raw. I am very unfamiliar with it, so it makes me a little uncomfortable I guess. Can you share some information about it?

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
K kbstarfish
I am in Europe and buy my cats raw food meals premade in packets. The food is delivered frozen and I keep the packets in a freezer. The food is a complete meal and I do not need to add anything just defrost the packet in water.

Where you are there are probably different sellers of premade raw food.
For us I do not feed solely raw but as part of their rotation. Some people choose to feed only raw.

Alternatively, you can make your own raw food with ground meat quite easily I understand from those who do so. You just need a completer like Fellini Complete if in Europe or EZ Complete in the US are two I know of.
EZ Complete For Cats - Small

Freeze dried is:
7 Best Freeze-Dried Cat Foods | Great Pet Care

I would love to give my cats freeze dried raw but cannot find any on the market where I am. Much better alternative to traditional dry food for cats I think.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not tried anything to do with raw. I am very unfamiliar with it, so it makes me a little uncomfortable I guess. Can you share some information about it?
I occasionally give one of my cats cooked ground meat with ez complete. Also churu or tiki tubes almost 90% water. I leave food out too much to even consider using raw meat. Other food they eat is canned

MindyStClairesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are also hunting the DE Chicken . . . I have been feeding the DE's turkey and rabbit (though I am not happy about the chickpeas) in very small amounts because they LOOOOOVE kibble (we mostly feed wet -- they occasionally get a handful of kibble as a small snack).

barefootlass

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The chicken flavor is sold out everywhere and that's all I've been giving my cat for a couple years now. Does anyone have a kibble rec without chickpeas, etc?

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed our cats a lot of (rehydrated) freeze-dried raw food -- Primal, Purpose, and a little Nulo -- and they love it. It's also very convenient for their humans. (It doesn't need freezer space!)
Is human freeze dried chicken the same as what you are feedin cats ?

kbstarfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The chicken flavor is sold out everywhere and that's all I've been giving my cat for a couple years now. Does anyone have a kibble rec without chickpeas, etc?
I just got some from Amazon (2 lb. bags). I also saw some of the 5lb bags for $46. They won't be shipped until Feb 5th though. The bags I just got, I ordered the first part of December. So, IF you want some, you need to get an order in and wait. I went to Petsmart and purchased Tiki Cat's dry kibble. I got the Chicken and Egg and the Herring and Salmon. My cats like them, but I have been mixing it slowly with Dr. Elsey's. Hope this helps.
I just received 6, 2 lb bags from Amazon yesterday. I ordered them about the 2nd week of December. I did notice 5lb bags on Amazon yesterday for $46. They will ship Feb. 5th or 6th I believe. If you want Dr. Elsey's you must put in an order and wait, unfortunately. I did purchase Tiki Cat dry kibble from Petsmart. I got Chicken and Egg & Herring and Salmon. NOT my choice of food, but better than most. My cats like them, but I am mixing a little with Dr. Elsey's to make it last. I also feed Tiki Cat After Dark Chicken and Duck canned for moisture. I hope this helps.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it a chicken recipe without chickpeas? Petsmart Simply Nourish has one without:

Simply Nourish® Adult Dry Cat Food - Natural, With Grain, Chicken | cat Dry Food | PetSmart

Fromm has one:
Four-Star Dry Recipes for Cats

I just bought the Simply Nourish myself because it doesn't have any fish products.
The Simply Nourish has rice, oatmeal, peas, pea protein just from a quick glance at the ingredients. I think most people who feed Dr. Elsey dry food is trying to avoid any of these useless carbs :frown: Similarly can be said for the Fromm one, it has rice, barley, sweet potatoes, peas/pea protein.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Simply Nourish has rice, oatmeal, peas, pea protein just from a quick glance at the ingredients. I think most people who feed Dr. Elsey dry food is trying to avoid any of these useless carbs :frown: Similarly can be said for the Fromm one, it has rice, barley, sweet potatoes, peas/pea protein.
Thanks for the info.

I really have to avoid fish myself. The girls' regular food was discontinued and I grabbed something else on store recommendation. I was tired, didn't realize that it had fish meal until the smells began. Never shop for something new when you're tired and without glasses...

barefootlass

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got some from Amazon (2 lb. bags). I also saw some of the 5lb bags for $46. They won't be shipped until Feb 5th though. The bags I just got, I ordered the first part of December. So, IF you want some, you need to get an order in and wait. I went to Petsmart and purchased Tiki Cat's dry kibble. I got the Chicken and Egg and the Herring and Salmon. My cats like them, but I have been mixing it slowly with Dr. Elsey's. Hope this helps.

I just received 6, 2 lb bags from Amazon yesterday. I ordered them about the 2nd week of December. I did notice 5lb bags on Amazon yesterday for $46. They will ship Feb. 5th or 6th I believe. If you want Dr. Elsey's you must put in an order and wait, unfortunately. I did purchase Tiki Cat dry kibble from Petsmart. I got Chicken and Egg & Herring and Salmon. NOT my choice of food, but better than most. My cats like them, but I am mixing a little with Dr. Elsey's to make it last. I also feed Tiki Cat After Dark Chicken and Duck canned for moisture. I hope this helps.
I will check out Tiki Cat. Thanks for the info. She eats about 2 tablespoons a day so the big bags aren't ideal but I may have to.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I will check out Tiki Cat. Thanks for the info. She eats about 2 tablespoons a day so the big bags aren't ideal but I may have to.
Just a suggestion for those who use small amounts: My vet recommends that if you have to buy a larger bag, keep it in the freezer for at least three days and then the refrigerator. It kills storage mites and helps prevent the oils in the food from going rancid. I use Dr. Elsey’s dry as a treat so a bag lasts a long time. I freeze it and then move smaller portions into the fridge in a storage container, replenishing it from the freezer as it gets low.