Dr. Elsey's beef (canned)

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I'm interested to hear how other people's cats have done on the Dr. Elsey's cleanprotein canned beef formula. I had been feeding mostly chicken and turkey, but this one is having a great sale on Chewy right now so I bought some.

My cat loved it, so I thought that was that. I throw in different high quality wet foods to her diet all the time and she never has any digestive problems, so I didn't even think about transitioning her slowly! Well, it gave her terrible diarrhea. She doesn't seem unhappy about it, so I'm hoping she just needs to adjust to it. I'm upping her probiotics and I'm going to keep trying to introduce her slowly, but I was wondering, did any one else have this problem with this flavor specifically?

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Isabelle eats this as I bought it, too, during a great sale and also gets a rotation. I tried to slowly change my cats over to new flavors and brands, but all three of my cats stopped eating. Then, each meal they received a new brand/flavor. They had wetter, smellier poops, too, but after a couple weeks their body must have gotten used to it and have been normal since. That was over 6 months ago. Not sure it that is advised, but it worked for me, and that was the only way I could keep them eating since they refused to eat if offered similar for two meals in a row.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Isabelle eats this as I bought it, too, during a great sale and also gets a rotation. I tried to slowly change my cats over to new flavors and brands, but all three of my cats stopped eating. Then, each meal they received a new brand/flavor. They had wetter, smellier poops, too, but after a couple weeks their body must have gotten used to it and have been normal since. That was over 6 months ago. Not sure it that is advised, but it worked for me, and that was the only way I could keep them eating since they refused to eat if offered similar for two meals in a row.
That makes me feel better! I'm hoping it's not a permanent reaction because it was such a good deal and she really likes it! I've backtracked and been mixing it in with other flavors the last couple of days, and so far are is well, so I'm optimistic. Thanks!

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That makes me feel better! I'm hoping it's not a permanent reaction because it was such a good deal and she really likes it! I've backtracked and been mixing it in with other flavors the last couple of days, and so far are is well, so I'm optimistic. Thanks!
Glad to hear you've found something that is helping!

Pouncecat1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is on their pork formula. No diarrhea but he tends to be constipated.