Dr Elsey wet food... smells weird?

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted a second opinion from anyone who has tried their wet food, specifically the chicken pate. What does it smell like to you? The other pate I have all kind of smell like spam or hot dog, but the Dr. Elsey chicken pate I just got smells kind of gross. There is no damage to the can and I'm not sure if the texture or smell is normal or not.

Youcantseemegrrr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wet Food always smells weird to me, some worse than others. If it's rancid/pungent I would discard it. If it came from chewy and it's bad let then know they will send replacements.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wet Food always smells weird to me, some worse than others. If it's rancid/pungent I would discard it. If it came from chewy and it's bad let then know they will send replacements.
That's the thing, I don't really know if it's a "rancid gone bad" smell or just "ugh cat food gross" smell. It looks exactly same as the pictures I've found online in terms of color and texture. I'll open another can to compare then.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even the best brand on earth can have a failed can or pouch of wet food.
It happened to me once, I opened the usual can of premium food for my cat and I was going to pass out for the smell! The can had no damage, not even the slightest dent, but the content was totally disgusting. I took photos of the content and the outside of the can, then I wrapped it in a film and discarded it. The smell stayed in the house for hours.
I sent the photos to the manufacturer and they sent me a 24-pack of the same food as a compensation ;)

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It doesn't stink up the house... I have to stick my nose really close to get a smell. I was just surprised since it smelled different than the other brands I've tried. It still smells better than the vet prescribed food!

I opened a few other cans and they all look similar/have the same smell so I'm probably just not used to it. It's my first time with this food.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Higher end food will smell different than fancy feast or other grocery brands.

It's like how home cooked ham smells different than a package of sliced processed ham.

Chances are it's less processed. Indy gets performatrin ultra and it looks and smells far different from the cheaper performatrin food.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted a second opinion from anyone who has tried their wet food, specifically the chicken pate. What does it smell like to you? The other pate I have all kind of smell like spam or hot dog, but the Dr. Elsey chicken pate I just got smells kind of gross. There is no damage to the can and I'm not sure if the texture or smell is normal or not.
Haven't tried the chicken, because my cat can't tolerate chicken. I introduced Dr. Elsey's pork pate a few days ago, though. It smells fine to me, and Sylvie seems to like it.

Are the other pates you've bought also chicken? I wouldn't expect chicken to smell like Spam or hot dogs, since those foods are made from cured pork.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Indy gets all different flavors because she refuses to eat the same thing more than two days in a row. Two of the ones she likes are chicken stew and chicken pate. They smell like chicken baby food. Or a stew.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Higher end food will smell different than fancy feast or other grocery brands.

It's like how home cooked ham smells different than a package of sliced processed ham.

Chances are it's less processed. Indy gets performatrin ultra and it looks and smells far different from the cheaper performatrin food.
I don't feed fancy feast, just PureVita turkey, Tiki cat and multiple Rawz flavors which I believe are considered some of the better foods. Those always kind of smell like spam/hot dog/cooked meat to me, while the tiki cat just smells like chicken. The Dr Elsey ones I've opened so far (all chicken pate) don't have much of a smell in comparison to the others, and if I sniff it very very closely, it has a slightly metallic smell? But doesn't smells rancid or it's gone bad. The only other food I've used before is Science Hill's I/D can when trying to see if one of my cat had an intolerance. That food had a pretty bad smell but not in a "gone bad" way, more just not appetizing to human haha. Maybe it just has a smell I dislike.

Haven't tried the chicken, because my cat can't tolerate chicken. I introduced Dr. Elsey's pork pate a few days ago, though. It smells fine to me, and Sylvie seems to like it.

Are the other pates you've bought also chicken? I wouldn't expect chicken to smell like Spam or hot dogs, since those foods are made from cured pork.
I have fed chicken flavors from PureVita, Rawz, Stella&Chewy and Tiki cat. Those all smells like spam or cooked chicken. I also briefly fed Hills I/D food at the advice of my vet at one point to test suspected food intolerance which was negative (smelly bad poops were from parasite, not foods). The Dr. Elsey doesn't have a strong meat smell, but it didn't smell like food gone bad either. I haven't tried much other wet food so I thought they all smelled like spam/cooked meat.

Youcantseemegrrr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe the food is fine, as you said you had to put your nose right up to it. If it was bad it would be stronger than that. Years ago I put my shirt over my nose to calm the smell, just for the first feeding in the morning need and hr or 2 then I was ready for the rest.