DoY scratch board in corrugated cardboard?

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Getting sick about searching for an appropriate scratching board in cardboard, I plan to made one on my own.

There is one question lasting: is the glue in corrugated cardboard safe for cats?
Also, has anyone experience or ideas about what type of glue I can use to stick the plates together, which is safe for cats?
===
I suppose (wishful thinking maybe) that the commercial cardboard boards are made using special cardboard.

Thank you for any tips or sources!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good question! I have a lot of cardboard cat scratchers and I've never thought about what glue they use. I guess if you were going to make your own you could use a non-toxic PVA glue. A lot of them are sold as child safe and (having taught children and know that little kids try to eat everything) that should mean they won't hurt your cats even if they do ingest some of the glue

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get mine at Walmart, the large size. All my cats use them daily and I pull them up and turn them over in their cardboard holder to get twice as much use out of them. They make quite a mess with all those little pieces of cardboard flung around, but they get so much enjoyment out of using them and it vacuums up easily. I have never seen them eating any of the glue. I have been using them for years with no problems, it sure has saved my furniture!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hide glue is all natural and shouldn't be a problem. It is, however, quite messy and you would need a glue pot.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I made several cardboard scratchers for a local cat rescue using Elmer’s Wood Glue. Based on the searches I did, that and Eco-Bond are generally considered pet safe. I also have one for my cats (in addition to the umpteen sisal scratchers I have for them :)). If any of my cats were chewers, though, I might think twice about using it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan I will look for child-safe PVA glues - assuming the manufacturer states what type of adhesive uses, which for some brands seems to be a well-kept secret :-).

di and bob di and bob One shop here used to sell cheap and gloriously simple cardboard scratching boards, it no longer does, replacing them by futuristic shape ones, yet expensive and questionable boards.

V vince great idea! My grandfather used hide glue a lot, I don't remember the procedure, but I will find it on the net, I hope; I will also check whether the smell is OK for the cat.

Tobermory Tobermory Right, simple PVA glues should do the work, here I cant find Elmer wood glue, but other similar brands; they use PVA as adhesive,, but the label states "additives" (whatever would that mean); there are also 2 types: for construction and for furniture, I suppose the ones for construction suits, but I do not know the strength (not so relevant in this case, I can repair if needed :-).

Does anyone have any idea about how safe it is Bison Super wood Glue D3? It is mentioned the PVA as a base, but I do not know how safe the additives are.

===

Making the board is going to be very fun: my tomcat loves to watch me when I am crafting :-)).

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, I LOVE those 9.99 boards that are big and last a long time. I can't see spending over twice as much for a curved one or one that is a bed too. We got an S curved one, paid over twenty dollars for it, and our big boy, Dutch, sat on it, flipped it over, and broke it the first day!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hide glue can be heated in a double boiler. The glue comes as crystals which are reconstituted into glue with hot water. It sometimes smells, but the smell goes away when it dries (at least to human noses).

I work with hide glue (work on pipe organs part time in my retirement), and have it around the house. The cats don't seem to give it any mind.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting sick about searching for an appropriate scratching board in cardboard, I plan to made one on my own.

There is one question lasting: is the glue in corrugated cardboard safe for cats?
Also, has anyone experience or ideas about what type of glue I can use to stick the plates together, which is safe for cats?
===
I suppose (wishful thinking maybe) that the commercial cardboard boards are made using special cardboard.

Thank you for any tips or sources!
I contacted the company that makes corrugated cardboard scratchers because mine was damaged. They said the glue is unsafe for cats and they searched online and could not find any company that sells the glue so they gave me new ones. It has lasted 3 years so far. Expensive but cheaper than buying scratchers out of card board. I have had it 3 years so far

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can also keep all cardboards stripes together by making holes and passing a rope through them.
But still, there is glue in the cardboard itself. :-(