Doug Donato is at it again....

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Atlantic City, NJ

Update
The Atlantic City Boardwalk cats are safe for the moment. The council members from Atlantic City decided at a January 14 meeting that they need to gather more information about an ill-conceived plan previously under consideration to trap and remove the TNR-ed cat colonies living under the boardwalk. This decision was likely based in large part on the overwhelming number of letters they received from activists supporting the successful TNR program already in place.

What You Can Do to Help

On January 15, the Press of Atlantic City published an inflammatory letter (scroll down) full of misinformation written by Doug Donato.

Letter:

Cat 'allies'

are cruel ones

Regarding the Dec. 30 article, "Cable workers charged with dragging cat behind truck'': Charging two cable workers with "cruelty to animals'' and "inhumane treatment'' is a bit premature. Obviously, any incident of an animal being dragged behind a truck must be investigated, but to levy charges against the individuals without sufficient evidence is absurd.

A simple investigation will reveal the facts, and if it's reasonable these cable workers perpetrated a crime, they must be charged accordingly.

It's more reasonable to believe this crime was perpetrated by "disgruntled former employees who also live in the area'' or by juveniles playing out a sick prank.

Is it necessary to ruin these workers' lives before there is even a fact finding? Talk about a "rush to judgment''!

The police are mistaken if they believe that nothing similar has ever happened in the past. Police need only to take a walk on the Boardwalk - home to more than 300 stray/feral cats.

Knowingly and willfully leaving 300 cats under the Boardwalk to freeze to death, or to die from disease or malicious acts is, indeed, "cruelty to animals.''

The "Alley Cat Allies'' who have taken responsibility for feeding these cats, without any doubt, must also be charged with "cruelty to animals'' and "inhumane treatment."

DOUG DONATO

Please take action now by writing a letter to the editor in response.
Be sure to mention that:

• The TNR program currently in place has effectively reduced the feral cat population by 50%.
• The cats that are returned under the boardwalk are healthy, vaccinated, spayed and neutered and are too wild to be adopted.
• The Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) program on the boardwalk has been in place for three years now, and continues to be supported by Ron Cash, Director of Health and Human Services; the Humane Society of Atlantic County; local law enforcement officers; local caregivers and activists; and concerned citizens from all across the country.

Send your letters to:

The Press Editorial Page
11 Devins Lane
Pleasantville, NJ 08232
For more information, call (609) 272-7266 or 272-7267
[email protected]

They will not accept letters without your name, full address, daytime and evening phone numbers. The shorter the letter, the more likely it will be published.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My letter:

To whom it may concern,

I know that the cats living under the boardwalk in
Atlantic city are very lucky cats indeed. They have
been trapped, fixed (spayed/neutered), vaccinated and
allowed to live out their lives with proper food and
shelter. I do not understand what Mr. Donato has
against cats, feral or otherwise...I do know that he
has not done his research when it comes to TNR (Trap,
Neuter, Return). TNR is the only humane method of
dealing with feral cats. The Atlantic City feral cat
TNR program has been a large success in reducing the
feral cat numbers which are currently at 50% of what
they were when the program was first implemented 3
years ago. Additionally, TNR is supported by Ron
Cash, Director of Health and Human Services; the
Humane Society of Atlantic County; local law
enforcement officers; local caregivers and activists;
and concerned citizens from all across the country.
This program has saved the lives of many cats who
otherwise would have been PTS...I see only compassion
in that mission. Cruelty in my eyes would be to allow
Mr. Donato's statements to kill 300+ fixed, vaccinated
cats.

Katie

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are so many issues in this world that need the passion and attention that this man has. Too bad he has to focus his energy against cats instead of for the other important topics. I can't help but to wonder what is going on in his little mind to make him put so much energy into killing these cats.