Double socking to make shoes fit

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone done this? I mail ordered a pair of boots that were on sale. I like them, but they're a size too big. One of my feet is smaller than the other. The larger foot fits OK with an insert, but the other one needs both an insert AND a double sock to make the shoe fit. If I do this, is there something that I'm not considering, perhaps the shoe stretching over time and become ill-fitting again? Or anything else that could happen that would make this solution a no-go? I can still return the shoes. They do not have a size smaller.

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've done this. I bought a pair of boots last year for $15. I don't wear them that often because the heels are high, so they haven't had a chance to stretch.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've done it with snow boots/shoes, but they're not something I wear a lot, so I couldn't tell you about stretching.

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband does this with all his shoes! His right foot is bigger than his left, so he always has to double sock his left foot, as well as having orthotic inserts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies, especially @pushylady. I think the boots are a keeper. Leather (suede) calf length for under $70, and I like them a lot. If the double socking works I can see myself wearing these multiple times a week.