Dose For B12 Shot For My Ibd Kitty Seems High Need Advise

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My internal med vet recommended a
B 12 shot for my kitty Tutu who has IBD and pancreatitis. The dose she wants injected is 250mcg every other week. I inject b12 in myself for pernicious anemia and my adult human size dose is also 250mcg but every week. Both meds are 1000mcg per ml. How can my 6 pound cat need the same dose as me? I read the packet insert of my brand, Fresenius Kabi and it mentioned that aluminum can be in the product and can build to toxic levels so care in dosage is important. When I talked to the company Fresenius Kabi they said it is part of the manufacturing process. When I called Vet One for the cat's manufacturer they had no clue as to whether this is an issue to their brand or all manufacturing of the b12 (any brand) or what are contraindications for their brand. Their packet information is completely lacking. Additionally my brand, Fresenius Kabi, recommends a much tinier dose for children. I am worried about giving my kitty these shots at these doses. My kitty was lethargic after her first shot. She threw up on the way home from the vet but is ok now. (Likely stress). Has anyone had experience or know anything about these b12 shots?

kdhester15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used to work at a cat specialty clinic and we used cobalamin very frequently. A cat under 20lbs dose is 250mcg; they metabolize things a tad more quickly than humans do. You have to keep in mind that cobalamin is a water soluble vitamin; any excess supplement will simply be excreted through urine. We used VetOne products and began B12 therapy at Q1week for a month and then went to biweekly then once monthly; we maintained the cat on which ever dose they did best on.

If it makes you feel better; our kitty takes 250mcg every other week and has been for a year; she has several digestive issues and B12 therapy has been wonderful for her!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got out my kitties B12 and looked at the label. It says it is 1000 microgr/ml and I give him .25 ml every other week so he is getting the same dose as your kitty. He was getting it monthly and I am giving it every other week now. He has had IBD most of his life and is 14 now. We started him on the B12 earlier this year. The vet told me that if there is excess it would leave his body through urination.