Dosage too high?!

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have another thread talking about my Shadow kitty's ongoing health issues. I am seeing a new vet and we go back for a follow-up this week. Last time we were there about two weeks ago they tried to take his blood and he just absolutely wouldn't cooperate and they didn't want to stress him out more, so they gave me Gabapentin to give him before our next visit. (He's actually a very chilled sweet cat who is completely not aggressive, he just did NOT want to do it. He did not try to hurt them, he just struggled to get away and even hissed in fear- I have NEVER heard him hiss, ever!)

But the dose seems extremely high- he's a chunky 15 pound cat and they said to give him a 300mg capsule (mixed in food), three hours before the appointment. From everything I have read, that is like double the recommended dose!
I just realized this tonight, so I am calling them tomorrow because there's no way that's correct... is it?

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is 8-9 pounds and i was told to use 50mg for travel. I didn’t end up needing to use it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
300mg does seem a bit high, but it could be due to the size of your cat as that is pretty much how they gauge dosage.

Did you call? What did they tell you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you call? What did they tell you?
So I called, but the location we use is having phone issues so I had to call the other location. I didn't get past the front desk girl- she says that the dosage is what she gives her cat, who weighs about the same.
I am still not convinced. I want to speak to one of the medical staff, not just the front desk girl.
I will try calling the other location tomorrow and hope their phones are fixed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I called before going in today, and they still said that 300mg was fine. :paranoid:

I did not feel comfortable giving him that much, so I gave him about 200mg. It worked out just fine. They were able to easily draw blood and even get a syringe urine sample, and he was calm, but still able to walk around and be friendly. He's been happily sleeping since we've been home. Glad I didn't overdo it like they wanted!