Doorframe Protection

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
We are having our walls painted shortly, and our painters have also agreed to fix the doorframes that the cats have done a serious number on by scratching and jumping on them. Obviously, once they're fixed, I want to keep them looking nice. I need ideas on what to put on the doorframes or deterrents for the cats so that they stay looking good.

Yes, they have scratching enrichment EVERYWHERE in the house. Numerous trees, posts, inclined corrugated cardboard things. They are just jerks- lol.

I've thought of putting Saran wrap all up and down the frames (tacky looking, but removable when we have guests and generally easy/inexpensive to replace). I toyed with claw caps for the cats, but Dexter would just chew them off.

Help!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used double-sided tape and crisscrossed it along what I didn't want them to scratch. It worked, they hate the feel of stickiness on their paws. I got it at Walmart. Once they know about it they usually don't go back. This way you can protect around corners and odd shapes too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Check with your local DIY/hardware stores. There are a variety of corner/door frame protectors that might work. Some are hard formed pieces of PVC type material, others are more pliable but also made of PVC type materials. They would save the wood below, but would likely require a new paint of coat if/when they would be removed.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
As an alternate suggestion, could you possibly get something like this for your door frames, and see if it prevents the scratching at all? Some cats will excessively scratch in specific places to scent mark, and this would serve the same purpose less destructively.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D3NI2PG/?tag=thecatsite

Alternatively, you could look into some removeable complexes or even plain scratch boards to hang over the door on on your doorknobs.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001362AFS/20140003-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711XJ9CY/?tag=thecatsite

They also sell pre-made scratch-protectors for various parts of doors and doorways

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J9RDXXG/?tag=thecatsite
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XV586VQ/?tag=thecatsite

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use self-adhesive strips to furniture sharp edges to protect my feet from scratches. They are easy to remove, cheap, and available in any hardware store here. Could serve to protect the frames as well - depending on the shape, though.

===

A bizarre solution is to attach scratching pads to the doorframes. Some pads have a very funny designs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
The issue that, while Dexter actually scratches, Evie and Emerson will literally jump to the top of the frame during a case of the zoomies or when they chase one another while playing. I've found gouges in the wood well over my head. I don't know why they do it- I've never had a cat do anything like it before. It isn't consistent, either. They'll go months without doing their kangaroo jumps and then they'll have 5 a week.

The double-sided tape would just be too expensive to cover all the doorframes, which was why I wanted to do the Saran wrap. I figured that the saran wrap is sticky enough to be a deterrent. Most of the items that go over the doorknobs protect the door more than the doorframes.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll figure something out!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Installing shelves?
Some cats love climbing and jumping. So they find their way to practice. :-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
I am guessing if the tape is too expensive, the corner protectors I was thinking about might be as well. But, here is an example from Lowes (see link below). That is why I suggested you check out a local DIY/hardware store and tell them what you are looking for, I am sure they have stuff like this example in stock.
Miller LLC 96-in Plastic Corner Guards in the Corner Guards department at Lowes.com
It's not that a roll of tape is too expensive, it's how much I would need! No doorframes are safe in my house :bawling2: