Don’t know what to do with feral

Gpizza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
took in a 4month old terrified kitten because the people at the shelter said he had potential to come around. That was about 9 months ago. He’s still terrified 😿. I can catch him but I hate chasing him. He only come out to eat and use the box but only at night. The rest of the time he’s under the bed it a corner
Last night I heard a crash. He tried to go through the screen door. If I return him I know what will happen. My property backs up to woods. Do I let him go? He gets his shots tomorrow if I can catch him

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I rescued Coco 4 yrs ago. Under my couch for 3 months,then bedroom for a year.. now in my living room playing with my other cat. I removed the box springs under my bed so she couldn't get under. That was before I rescued her. When my cat maggie was a kitten she would crawl underneath,get on her back, put her claws up, then crawl all over

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can contain the cat in a room, you can ask the vet for gabapentin. It makes the cats kind of drunk acting. It is the only way I can get a few of my now inside ferals to the vet. The vet needs to prescribe it. I like to give one tablet (hidden in a piece of cheese) the night before and another the next morning a few hours before the appointment. I have the carrier in the room and then when it's time, the cat is usually quite sleepy. I just place a towel or blanket over the towel and scoop into the carrier.

How often do you work with the cat? It takes lots of time and patience and daily work. I like to sit on the floor (not making eye contact) and talk softly. I bring in a special treat ( plain cooked chicken or canned tuna) and toss a few pieces towards the cat. Even if the cat doesn't eat it then, it will bring a good association.

Have you tried any toys? Many cats like wand toys or even a shoe lace that is partially hidden under a towel and pulled out. Catnip is another favorite or a laser toy.

I would definitely remove the bed. Under a bed is not a place for a cat to be. Pick the bed up and either remove it from the room, place it flat on the floor or put it up against the wall. Block all other places he could get behind. You can then provide a safe hiding spot such as a hiding box in a cat tree or even a simple cardboard box with a cozy blanket.

Watch out for open windows. I only crack the window in the room with my cats. I instead use a ceiling fan or box fan to keep the room cool.

I would not let this cat go. The outside is a very very dangerous place. If necessary could you build a catio where he could be outside, but still confined and safe? Some of them can be attached to windows.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet if you put a box in there he will jump right in! Cats love to hide. That's why I have so many pop open cubes

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
took in a 4month old terrified kitten because the people at the shelter said he had potential to come around. That was about 9 months ago. He’s still terrified 😿. I can catch him but I hate chasing him. He only come out to eat and use the box but only at night. The rest of the time he’s under the bed it a corner
Last night I heard a crash. He tried to go through the screen door. If I return him I know what will happen. My property backs up to woods. Do I let him go? He gets his shots tomorrow if I can catch him
No, do not let him go. Has he been neutered?

First rule, never chase a feral kitten/cat - they feel stalked and hunted.

You basically need to ignore him a bit and allow him to come to you.

I don't know what all you have tried so before I give an suggestions, let us know what you have done to socialize so far.

Yes, if you can keep him confined to one room for a while that may save him from escaping outside.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
No, do not let him go. Has he been neutered?

First rule, never chase a feral kitten/cat - they feel stalked and hunted.

You basically need to ignore him a bit and allow him to come to you.

I don't know what all you have tried so before I give an suggestions, let us know what you have done to socialize so far.

Yes, if you can keep him confined to one room for a while that may save him from escaping outside.
To help with socializing(and catching) do not walk to him. Get at his level so you are less of a threat. If you can, get on the floor when you feed him and slowly put your hand on the bowl to get more comfortable around you by your scent. Start with scratching behind the ear. Pick him up from behind, not in front. Use canned food for the strong smell. If you have a tablet there are videos of wild animals,birds calling, kittens meowing,or a cd. Put up a tower by a window so he can look outside(unless it's noisy with cars)