don’t know if this normal

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi. im going to attach a picture of my cat’s leftover kibbles that were falling from her mouth while she was eating. let me know if someone can relate to this because this is new to me and i am concerned wondering if something’s wrong inside her mouth as she only ate 6-7 kibbles since morning. However, she ate about half table spoon a while ago, i made a video but somehow videos can’t be posted here.

PS the broken pieces of kibbles were atleast 4% more while she was eating. But then she ate from those broken kibbles too so this is the amount left.

Attachments

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, are you saying that your cat is losing the kibbles while she's eating?
It can be something related to her gums, an inflammation to her gums (gingivitis) that gives her pain, so she lets go of the kibbles.
Or she can have a bad tooth, same as above.
Does she let you inspect her mouth easily? If yes, look at her gums inside and outside, check her teeth and see if any of them is bad, moving or missing.
Also, check the inside of her cheeks and under her tongue if possible.

Again, if possible, take a photo of what you see and send it to your vet and, if you want, you can post it here so that we can give you more answers.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats are just messy eaters. My boy has always picked up food and shakes his head slightly when eating which results in a few kibbles falling around his area. Luckily, my girl likes eating scattered pieces so she cleans up after the pieces he scatters.

However, since it sounds like this is a new habit with your cat you should start with a vet exam to ensure it isn't some mouth issue making it more difficult to eat. The other thing to look at would be if it is new food. By new food I don't necessarily mean a new brand or flavor either; a new bag of food could also be the issue. If something is off with the food she might be spitting it out because something is off or wrong.

In your place, I would get a vet appointment to check the physical. I wouldn't say it is emergency so you should be okay waiting a week or two for an appointment (assuming she isn't losing weight, vomiting, lethargic, or any other physical symptoms). But I would also change out the food while waiting to see the vet. If you feed straight out of the bag it comes in, just close the bag securely. If you feed out of a storage container, bag the existing food in a large bag and clean the container. Either way, get the smallest bag you can find of the current food and see if the behavior is still happening with the new bag of food. If it is, I would try a new food all together too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just messy eaters. My boy has always picked up food and shakes his head slightly when eating which results in a few kibbles falling around his area. Luckily, my girl likes eating scattered pieces so she cleans up after the pieces he scatters.

However, since it sounds like this is a new habit with your cat you should start with a vet exam to ensure it isn't some mouth issue making it more difficult to eat. The other thing to look at would be if it is new food. By new food I don't necessarily mean a new brand or flavor either; a new bag of food could also be the issue. If something is off with the food she might be spitting it out because something is off or wrong.

In your place, I would get a vet appointment to check the physical. I wouldn't say it is emergency so you should be okay waiting a week or two for an appointment (assuming she isn't losing weight, vomiting, lethargic, or any other physical symptoms). But I would also change out the food while waiting to see the vet. If you feed straight out of the bag it comes in, just close the bag securely. If you feed out of a storage container, bag the existing food in a large bag and clean the container. Either way, get the smallest bag you can find of the current food and see if the behavior is still happening with the new bag of food. If it is, I would try a new food all together too.
Hi. She only did that when I posted this thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, are you saying that your cat is losing the kibbles while she's eating?
It can be something related to her gums, an inflammation to her gums (gingivitis) that gives her pain, so she lets go of the kibbles.
Or she can have a bad tooth, same as above.
Does she let you inspect her mouth easily? If yes, look at her gums inside and outside, check her teeth and see if any of them is bad, moving or missing.
Also, check the inside of her cheeks and under her tongue if possible.

Again, if possible, take a photo of what you see and send it to your vet and, if you want, you can post it here so that we can give you more answers.
Hi. She was letting me check her mouth snd didn’t show any signs of pain. Also, she only did that when I posted this question. I still wonder why she did that only for a few hours

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
She was letting me check her mouth snd didn’t show any signs of pain. Also, she only did that when I posted this question.
It's obviously a good sign she only did this when you posted your question but just because she let you check her mouth does not mean she doesn't have the start of FORL or another health related issue with her mouth. When was the last time she had a dental exam? For now you can closely monitor whether this happens again but I would definitely recommend mentioning it to your vet the next time you bring her in for an appointment. Best of luck!