Don't Forget The Turkey!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
If you're roasting a turkey for Thanksgiving, get him (or her) out of the freezer!

I brought ours up from the freezer on Thursday and stuck it in the fridge. It's a 21-pounder, so it'll take time to get thawed. I think they're saying now one day for every four pounds (I think it used to be one day for every five pounds).

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have to worry with thawing the turkey. We are going to my sons. I only have to bake the pies and French bread. I am making the crusts and precooking my apples today for the apple pie. The rest I will do Thursday.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
And don’t forget the salt! If you missed a spill cleanup or basted the oven instead of the bird, a thick layer of salt poured over the smoking (or burning) gunk will stop it right away. Just quickly pull out your food, pour the salt through the racks and put everything back. Next day when the oven is cool you just scrape it with a spatula and vacuum it up. Not exactly Martha Stewart’s way but it works great.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Thanks for the reminder! Will send this to my dad's girlfriend. Shes doing Turkey but she usually bakes it the day before then heats up in the oven. We won't do a turkey at home. Jon's sick of Turkey since I always buy a roasted turkey breast at Hannafords this summer....if I do cook one i try to buy a 12 lb to 14 lb. We just like the stuffing cooked inside the Turkey. Then i make a tray with tinfoil on the sides and layer a layer of stuffing on outside for crispies...we usually fight over it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I host Thanksgiving every other year. I do stuff my bird but also make a pan of stuffing in the oven since you can never have enough stuffing. The pan makes crispy stuffing, and then I mix in the soft stuffing from the bird and its perfect.

I also make gravy and stuffing base with roasted turkey wings and necks ahead of Thanksgiving. That gives me liquid for the gravy and stuffings while leaving the actual Turkey’s juices in the serving pan to keep the carved turkey moist.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm roasting one today, Boyfie's work unexpectedly gave him one and we're going to a friend's feast on the actual holiday where there will already be a turkey, so this guy will make a couple basically free s00ps for us. :D

Question--How can I better prepare the innards and neck for my kitties? I usually boil the organs and they take a little bite and leave it. Is there a better way to try and give them this healthy treat? Or should I just skip it for them and toss in when making my base stock for our own soup..?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If they won’t eat them, I would just use them for yourself. I suppose you could try raw but with salmonella so prevalent, I wouldn’t want to.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
EWPZ, so, I tossed the neck and stuff into a pot that was sitting on the stove just to set them aside while I prepped the bird, and promptly forgot all about it. The lid was on the pot... I just finally remembered, and discovered that it all kinda got lightly cooked.
I chopped up the liver and offered it to all 3 cats. The gals didn't touch it, but Alasdair (the pickiest one of all) is currently on his second little serving. :jawdrop:
20181118_125157.jpg
I guess the key for him was to maybe not OVER cook it like I probably did in past attempts haha

No idea how the gals would prefer it.
Guess I'll try something different with the next bird. :anticipation:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a boneless breast turkey roast, and I will take it out on Tuesday, which is according to the package directions. I will miss the stuffed stuffing, but for one person, even a regular turkey breast is a lot. There will also be sweet potatoes and green bean casserole. My oldest used to say "It must be Thanksgiving" if there was green bean casserole on the table.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
I bought a boneless breast turkey roast, and I will take it out on Tuesday, which is according to the package directions. I will miss the stuffed stuffing, but for one person, even a regular turkey breast is a lot. There will also be sweet potatoes and green bean casserole. My oldest used to say "It must be Thanksgiving" if there was green bean casserole on the table.
Just cooking a feast for yourself? Can I just say that is actually awesome and I'm glad you treat yourself so well. <3
Also I would come over and help you polish off that GBC. MmmmmMMM, my fave.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We're going to a buffet for dinner, but I did buy a turkey to make for the cats, both mine and the feral colony. I make the turkey, gravy, mashed, baked sweet potatoes, peas, green beans and plain, and canned pumpkin for them. I do the same for Christmas. I don't like turkey, but the cats sure do!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's just the cats and me this year. I will be roasting a turkey thigh and we will share it. Nice and easy. Just the way I like it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No turkey for me this year. Last year I did Trader Joe's turkey en croute. The annoying thing was there was no turkey or stuffing within 2 inches of either end:nono:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not really a turkey fan but I like all the sides that go with it. Not a big Trader Joe fan either.