Domestic Longhairs in the wild...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a few pics of Beans

The first picture is exquisite. He's a beautiful kitty.
"He" is a she;) I do realize Beans is a somewhat masculine name, but it just fits her. She's a big tomboy anyway. If i hadn't had her spayed, I'd swear she was a boy.

Her nickname is "Beanie-Weenie" so at least that's a little less masculine sounding.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"He" is a she;) I do realize Beans is a somewhat masculine name, but it just fits her. She's a big tomboy anyway. If i hadn't had her spayed, I'd swear she was a boy.

Her nickname is "Beanie-Weenie" so at least that's a little less masculine sounding.
I apologise. It was a typo. I noticed it after I'd sent it.
She's still exquisite.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I apologise. It was a typo. I noticed it after I'd sent it.
She's still exquisite.
Thank you :D

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beans is gorgeous! I'm sorry to hear she's had such a terrible time at the groomers. I have to take one of my cats in for a lion cut next week. I've asked the vet to sedate him and do it as there are no cat groomers in this area. I live in rural Japan, there's not much of anything around here.

It's almost spring and all my cats are starting to shed, I'm thinking of felting all the loose fur together and seeing if I have enough to make a Mongolian Ger in the backyard.

Is this the new kitty you rescued a while back? He was a Persian IIRC.

Beans looks like a cool cat!

Tis the season for fur everywhere.   Even my short hair has me scrambling!  The only thing other than a Lion Clip is a good bath and brushing/combing.  The bath will loosen a lot of the fur and as long as it's not matted it should comb out easily afterward.  

My cat is 19 years old and I don't want to stress her with a bath...she absolutely hates them...screams the entire time but I would be giving her a good bath if she wasn't such an old wuss.
I've been very fastidious with her matts this year so she doesn't really. Have any. I think a bath brushing and sani-shave will be perfect. I love her long fur and I know I'd regret cutting it all off.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does grow again. I used to shave my lotto in the summer. The vet's girl Friday used to give him the lion cut. In the beginning he'd be sedated but when he was quite old she'd come to my house and do it with no objections from him. I did it in the summer.
Eventually as he got older i stopped. He went to rainbow bridge age 20.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does grow again. I used to shave my lotto in the summer. The vet's girl Friday used to give him the lion cut. In the beginning he'd be sedated but when he was quite old she'd come to my house and do it with no objections from him. I did it in the summer.
Eventually as he got older i stopped. He went to rainbow bridge age 20.
So sorry for your loss. I had a kitty live to be 18. Her death was by far the worst day of my life. RIP Chancy.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss.
I felt like a murderer arranging for the vetto come and ---- him. I was very ill afterwards for quite some time. My doctor said that's what caused it.
He was such a sweet boy but although he made the trudge to his box he cried there are back. That's what decided me. I wonder if i jumped the gun.

Captain Unusual

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've always wondered how domestic longhaired cats keep their fur in decent shape if they're living in the wild? My DLH Beans requires daily grooming. She doesn't really try to keep herself clean like any DSH I've ever owned either. it's either she's lazy, or maybe just overwhelmed by her gigantic coat.

Do ferel DLH's have mats all over themselves? I understand a lot of long haired cats were bred to have extra long fur, but natural breeds such as Persians and Maine Coons evolved long hair via natural selection.

It seems counterintuitive for nature to do this to keep the animal warm, yet not give the animal the instincts to take care of their fur.

Just something that's been rattling around in my head lately. Beans has been especially naughty this year when I try to trim her hind end for sanitary reasons. Who can blame her really? But it's got to be done.

I've often had those same thoughts. I'm from the rural Midwest and you definitely don't see a lot of feral long-haired cats out there. Which is too bad because that long fur would come in really handy in the winter. But I think the flipside is that in the summer longhair is a real burden because it makes them more prone to burrs, pests, tangling and matting. My cat is long-haired and was in a terrible state when she was found out in the country. But in the winter I bet that for would've served her well. I guess in the eyes of natural selection short fur has more advantages than disadvantages.