Domestic kitten medium hair

Peppapig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I feed my kitten wet food once a night at 6 pm then I leave a bowl of dry food out for her for the rest of the night, morning, day and afternoon. I fill it to the top she just eats some when ever she's hungry. She's 9 weeks old this week am I under feeding her or over feeding her?

Lennybells

Purring is my therapy!
Adult Cat
Purraise
That’s what I did with my kitten. As they get older you will need to be measuring their food intake so they stay at a healthy weight. Keep in mind the breed size and age. I have a bigger breed of cat and he needs more food than say a domestic shorthair his age. I would start soon with measuring the food. I give Hobbes his 24 hour amount and he eats and makes it last. He eats little amounts so multiple feeding times doesn’t make sense.

Hope this helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Peppapig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That’s what I did with my kitten. As they get older you will need to be measuring their food intake so they stay at a healthy weight. Keep in mind the breed size and age. I have a bigger breed of cat and he needs more food than say a domestic shorthair his age. I would start soon with measuring the food. I give Hobbes his 24 hour amount and he eats and makes it last. He eats little amounts so multiple feeding times doesn’t make sense.

Hope this helps!
I rescued her from the pound they said she was a domestic kitten short hair. She's black and white she's either a tuxedo cat or a moggie :)

Lennybells

Purring is my therapy!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I rescued her from the pound they said she was a domestic kitten short hair. She's black and white she's either a tuxedo cat or a moggie :)
Cutie! I started to measure his food at her age. Look up an accurate feeding chart for her breed and weight and start from there! I’m not sure about any good ones…calling Domestic SH owners! 😅

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello I feed my kitten wet food once a night at 6 pm then I leave a bowl of dry food out for her for the rest of the night, morning, day and afternoon. I fill it to the top she just eats some when ever she's hungry. She's 9 weeks old this week am I under feeding her or over feeding her?
At this age, they need plenty of wet food for their growth. Wet food are full of nutrients and proteins which aid their formative year and wet food keeps them hydrated. Dry food are full of carbs.

A kitten in it's growing up stage needs to be fed 5 - 6 times a day and be fed as much as they can eat in one session.

Kittens are very active at their growing up age and they need at least 300 calories per day which is broken down to the number of feeds per day.

One way to ensure that they get enough food per serving is to fill up their plate and let them eat as much as they can. Once they are full from that feeding, they'll walk away a happy customer till the next feed. You can never overfeed a kitten.
So, from filling up their plate and observe how much they eat at one sitting, that's the amount they need each time and feed them 5 - 6 times a day.

As they approach 7 months to a year old (assuming your cats are of the normal breeds as they mature at 1 year old and bigger breeds takes 2 - 4 years before reaching maturity), they go through a period called 'Growth Spurt'. During this period, they tend to eat more than usual and it'll last through the beginning of their first year and then after that, slowly their food intake both amount and number of feeds will taper down.

Once they past their 1 1/2 year old, if they are normal active indoor cats, they need roughly 250 calories per day. You can find the calories per can stated on the can itself. Don't follow how much to feed on the can but take note of the calories stated instead as your guide.

Also during this period, your cats are teething and by the 7th month, all their adult's teeth should be in.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi- :welcomesign: to TCS- nice to meet you,what's kitty's name?

As you can see already done good feed wet food and others opt for dry .... In any event tabbytom tabbytom has provided you with great information so it's going to be up to you what you choose to feed your kitty.... Do your due diligence in researching wet vs dry so you can make an educated decision

Like tabbytom tabbytom I do feed kittens wet food but simply because Ive always found it easier to wean babies from mothers milk to a soft wet kitten food but like Lennybells Lennybells Ive always ' free fed" dry food( kibble) as well so they have access to pick( or graze) at will

What is most important ,either way is the caloric intake needed and feeding food particularly formulated for kittens- kittens require more proteins and specific nutrients that adults do not do adult food is not adequate to support their immune system, eyes, bones,heart health and promote growth stages

Free feeding is fine imo ( a good KITTEN kibble) but Id feed wet kitten food twice a day and measure according to the required calories for 9wks.... You'll ensure kitty gets what kitty NEEDS this way and then won't get hungry and eat mostly dry food- hydration is always important but even more so for a kitten..... If kitty's age requirement is 300 calories and one can is 300 calories then give have in the early morning and half at 6 pm

Cats can overeat or undereat being free fed kibble( usually overeat)- starting them out with more wet feedings at set times helps regulate them to eat what is necessary,no more,no less

When feeding wet food only you want to spread out the feedings so they don't get hungry in between and gobble the food like they are starved,lol.....you are preparing them for adulthood,good habits from a set schedule

Hope this is helpful for you❤👍