Dollhouses

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about them lately, because I remember when my grandmother put her own together. I don't have the space, money, or handiness to make one myself, but I would love to have a Victorian dollhouse, right down to the William Morris wallpaper.

Has anyone here made their own dollhouse?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never made or had one, but I used to drool over the ones in the Smithsonian. They are about 5 feet tall and usually two levels. The intricate detail is amazing. One has a tiny goldfish bowl with a goldfish in it on a table the top of which is about 1 inch across. There were stairs so us short people could climb up to see all of them. There must have been at least a half dozen of them, 60 years ago. The Smithsonian changes its displays constantly, so the doll houses may not be there anymore.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. In fact, I built an entire village and had a lot of fun doing it. It all started when I built a dollhouse as a child. I used an old Barristers bookcase as a four story dollhouse. Later when I had my own daughter, a dollhouse kit. I wanted a Victorian style greenhouse so I built that from scratch. It’s not that complicated because you can buy everything from lighting kits to tiny little bricks. Everything that is available for a real house is out there for dollhouse. Beware though, kitties like them too! :lol:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
. Beware though, kitties like them too! :lol:
I never had one, but my sister did, and one day she left it on top of the TV - one of those old boxy ones on legs. One afternoon, we heard a motor running somewhere in the room and looked all over to turn it off. Finally found it - our cat was in the dollhouse and purring his heart out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, it was my little brothers I had to watch out for. I had a Barbie dollhouse, and I would regularly come into my room and find my brothers either playing with it or collapsing it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Grandpa built all the granddaughters doll houses. My other grandpa also built them but I didn’t need 2. Mine had working lights, papered walls, carpeting and curtains and bedding made by my Grandma. Grandpa made some of the furniture. Other things were added over the years. I used to decorate it for Christmas too.

I had to leave it at my mother’s when i got married. I still don’t have the space for it. I’ve never let my kids play in it either. Its just very special to me. When my kids are older I will bring it here. I just have to watch that no cats find their way in. That’s happened more than once. 🤪

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We need pictures of dollhouses here! We can all drool over them. Lol Barbie houses were fun too! The old ones were cardboard but very cool. Babrbie had a Fashion Shop and a Little Theater too. Barbie houses now are quite different. Still very cute.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't personally have any pictures of the two dollhouses I had, but I managed to find some online of my first one-

firstdollhouse.jpg

I can't find any of my Barbie dollhouse, though, which is strange :headscratch:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally found a picture of my second one. Turns out what I thought was a Barbie house was actually a Sindy house. I guess Sindy is a Barbie knockoff?

seconddollhouse.jpg

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
neely neely - I've always loved those! I also love the Fairy Castle at the Museum of Science and Industry.

I had a dollhouse. A couple. - the little people one when I was really small, but we built(?) One for my playmobile figurines when I was a bit older. It probably was a kit, but I don't remember exactly.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can get you pictures of DD's Barbie Dreamhouse, a Fisher Price dollhouse my DS insisted we couldn't get rid of last winter (he did play with it a lot after that) and a Lil' Woodeez house. She also had a My Little Pony castle that is in our garage sale stuff now. :paperbag:

My dollhouse is under a sheet in my mother's bedroom and the furniture and accessories are all packed away. I think the only pictures I have of mine are from the front (it's a Cape Cod style house with no dormers). I don't remember having any of the inside.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cousins had the My Little Pony dream castle! I don't think it got passed to me, sadly, but I'm having trouble remembering...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never had anything like that. Just my dollhouse from my Grandpa. I wanted that Barbie dreamhouse SO bad too. :lol: My mom and stepdad bought DD hers. We couldn’t afford big stuff back then. DDs others were much less expensive Christmas presents. Thats just the kind of toys she likes; but she’s starting to outgrow all that.:sniffle:

I never fully outgrew my dollhouse from my Grandpa though. Sometimes I’d make some little things out of fabric scraps or just rearrange it. I decorated my bedroom at Christmas so having the dollhouse decorated in there too was fun. I even had a teeny tiny light strand for the roofline. Grandpa had put working lights on the front and a few ceiling lights; but also a red one in the “brick” fireplace in the living room. It looked nice in the dark.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't personally have any pictures of the two dollhouses I had, but I managed to find some online of my first one-

View attachment 342404

I can't find any of my Barbie dollhouse, though, which is strange :headscratch:
Oh Katie, that is adorable!!

I had a dollhouse as well that had been someone else's. It was probably manufactured in the 40's or 50s
because Nicole had it first. I had such fun with it,

I found one similar from 1938, have no idea whose it was originally
1594377358756.png

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This picture just happened to turn up in my memories today. Unfortunately it’s just a blurry view of the front. This is Pumpkin; my moms cat who is almost 17 now. But you can see the windows (plastic for the glass), lights and a few curtains. The left window is a bay window for the livingroom.

B6C7DFD1-4ED4-41B4-838E-E1C05B89844B.jpeg

The reddish thing underneath is a stand on casters. The house itself is on a turntable so it was easy to move to play with. My Grandpa also built the stand.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am loving all the memories and the pictures! Thanks everyone!
Pumpkin! Lol Our kitties liked houses too! This house was built from a kit when my daughter was young and was the beginning of the village later. This had carpet, wallpaper and working lights.
A9FE0828-2694-48BD-BCF7-76BB6F1ADBD2.jpeg
29A69631-8FD5-4060-A94A-2BE621217BE5.jpeg