Doing Head Counts

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a "dry pet foods" cabinet, a small walk in pantry that holds canned food, dog treats, medications, supplements, and kibble for the cats (we use as treats, it's cheaper that way) and some basic cleaning supplies. On the lower shelf we have an open bin full of litter with a scoop with some space to store extra litter in bags or boxes.
One of my jobs in the morning is to feed animals. For the house cats, this job is dropping globs and chunks of raw food into several dishes and feeding them in their favorite spots. This is a good way to do a quick once over, make sure no one is limping, missing, off their food, or has any injuries visible to the naked eye.
This morning was more than hectic, so the cats were fed late and were past the point of meowing and crying and to the point of angry stomping while yelling and hollering. I gave up and gave them a big pile of kibble spread into several long, narrow lines and ran out the door.
About an hour later I come back in and notice a missing cat. I'm calling and looking behind furniture, in favorite hiding spots, under a stray food bowl (ever notice that the more you look for something, the stupider the places are that you look?) and can't find her.
Then I hear it, the sound of crunching coming from......you guessed it.....the cabinet, the door open about an inch because in my rush I didn't shut it tight enough. When I open the door, she shoots out like a flash.
Inside the pantry, cans knocked over, much more kibble had disappeared, treat bags were chewed up and to top it off this lovely young lady took it upon herself to climb into the open litter bin to answer natures call.....twice :doh::doh::doh::doh:
Moral of the story is always do a head count unless you want a cat to spend the next few hours looking a little green from her gorging and using some of those cleaning supplies I mentioned to clean up a few piles of puke :lol:
Also she's 100% fine and quite proud of her adventure ;)

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
:flail:
I can just imagine your lovely lady while having the time of her life, in the privacy of the pantry cabinet. LOL.

How many cats do you have, may I ask? :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:flail:
I can just imagine your lovely lady while having the time of her life, in the privacy of the pantry cabinet. LOL.

How many cats do you have, may I ask? :)
9 bundles of joy inside, and some more strays that are TNR'ed by us, and are good working barn cats :wave3:
Since the pantry door has a flip handle, I've seen her and the others poking at it a bit today. If they learn to open it I'm doomed :help::help::help:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watch out then. Mingo has figured out how to open a door, as long as it opens out away from him, and turn wall lights on and off. Flip handles should be easy to master. :biggrin:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watch out then. Mingo has figured out how to open a door, as long as it opens out away from him, and turn wall lights on and off. Flip handles should be easy to master. :biggrin:
:running:
Better bungee the lock somehow, like I bungeed Baby Girls beloved tree. So far she hasn't knocked it over but she's been chewing a little at the cord.
Somehow, cats make you feel like your IQ is dropping a point a minute :crazy:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flip handles are very easy for cats. I had to get a baby lock for the attic door because the cats figured out how to get up there. Guests tend to look at you weird when you have baby locks on everything and no babies ;).

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah baby locks work well. Had to get em for my last couple of fridges at the apartments.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
under a stray food bowl (ever notice that the more you look for something, the stupider the places are that you look?)
When my cats are hiding, I panic & look in the fridge, dryer, freezer. Everyone laughs at me, but it's possible they could get shut in there somehow.