Dogs keep coming back, cat killed

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I have just now had a cat killed by a bunch of street dogs, i woke up to barking in my backyard and ran out with my pistol that shoots BBs and shot at 4 dogs. They all run away and i sadly see one of my kittens passed away.. i came back inside because i was just realy stressed out and i dont know it there’s any other more kittens that were caught. i really really hate this, i had just fed them at around 10:30 pm. It’s just so frustrating because ever since the winter storm that hit texas last week ive had a bunch of random dogs show up and try to attack them, last week it was 2 dogs, then Monday 2 more and now 4... why do they keep coming and how can i stop them from coming back? I know that this is technically a dog post but i need help , im shaking right now in shock.. im so upset about this

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your backyard not fenced? I suggest to contain the kittens because otherwise the dogs will still have free rein on the property and harm the remaining ones. Is there also an animal control or rescue groups that you can call nearby so those dogs can also be rescued off the streets?

How old are those kittens btw?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear you lost one of your cats this way.

Could you call animal control and let them know there is a pack of dangerous dogs outside? If they attack cats they could quite easily attack a person too.

Do the cats have any where they can get away from the dogs? Are there any trees in the area? Maybe you could put up some of the cat posts people use to protect feral cats from coyote attacks. That was the cats can climb to safety if threatened.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry that you are facing this and can imagine that this is all worse because of the situation in Texas.

When I helped to maintain a feral colony in the parking lot of my workplace, the same thing happened to us. It is beyond tragic. The remaining cats were socialized enough that employees took them home and the colony ended.

We had no option for securing the location of the colony but if it is at all possible to contain the kittens that is the best solution. Even a big dog airline crate would hold kittens overnight. We don't know the parameters of your property or exactly how this is happening but you have to try to take action for the kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Is your backyard not fenced? I suggest to contain the kittens because otherwise the dogs will still have free rein on the property and harm the remaining ones. Is there also an animal control or rescue groups that you can call nearby so those dogs can also be rescued off the streets?

How old are those kittens btw?
They are all around 4 months, and no it isnt fenced, but there i have a lot of places where they can sleep protected, but it was 5 dogs who caught one, and i called animal control to see if they can take them but it takes 1-3 business days.. i will stay up tonight to watch and protect

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing what you can. Do you have any idea where the dogs are from? Feral dogs? Local dogs who run around at will? I was in the middle of LA and it was pet dogs who were not contained who came to our colony.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear you lost one of your cats this way.

Could you call animal control and let them know there is a pack of dangerous dogs outside? If they attack cats they could quite easily attack a person too.

Do the cats have any where they can get away from the dogs? Are there any trees in the area? Maybe you could put up some of the cat posts people use to protect feral cats from coyote attacks. That was the cats can climb to safety if threatened.
yes there is a little table with wood protecting all sides and there are beds, i have many places but i guess there were too many dogs :( i have to be out there to protect them tonight

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry that you are facing this and can imagine that this is all worse because of the situation in Texas.

When I helped to maintain a feral colony in the parking lot of my workplace, the same thing happened to us. It is beyond tragic. The remaining cats were socialized enough that employees took them home and the colony ended.

We had no option for securing the location of the colony but if it is at all possible to contain the kittens that is the best solution. Even a big dog airline crate would hold kittens overnight. We don't know the parameters of your property or exactly how this is happening but you have to try to take action for the kittens.
yes since it is my backyard i have the liberty to alter it however i like within my parents' approval, but i will have to find ways to where all cats that sleep outside aren't in the open and vulnerable to dogs

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
You are doing what you can. Do you have any idea where the dogs are from? Feral dogs? Local dogs who run around at will? I was in the middle of LA and it was pet dogs who were not contained who came to our colony.
i guess over the past week there have been an accumulation of street dogs. last week i saw one dog sleeping on the side of the road by a bridge near my house and today i see all 5 dogs hanging out there. I saw them bark at a guy walking down the street, I called Harris County pets to come check it out and see if they can take them away but it may take up to 3 days for them to show up :( still can't believe it, i never wanted anything like this to happen

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. It’s imperative that you get the cats inside somewhere or give them places the dogs cannot get to. Places for the kitties to get up high might help. Stay with them while the eat and remove food dishes afterwards. Since you are getting more dogs, I tend to think they will form a pack. Pack mentality is volatile. I can imagine that the newer arrivals are or were pets. Have you tried an animal shelter for help? Go to neighbors and ask about the dogs. Take pictures of the dogs if you can. Any have collars? They may have escaped during all the problems in you area weather lately. They may be foraging for food or a female may be in heat. The bad thing is that they don’t know that killing a kitten is wrong. They may feel it is play or like chasing a squirrel. It really would be safest to get the kittens inside from now on. Dogs that kill tend to repeat. Depending a lot on breed, many are used as hunting dogs and taught to retrieve. Like I said, they don’t know not to kill. You might put up some flyers to find dog owners or warn others that have cats or small dogs. “Keep all cats and small dogs inside for now. Wandering dogs.” Please keep us updated.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I suggest you keep calling Animal Control, and ask your parents or any neighbours you are friendly with to call too. The more complaints there are the more likely AC are to see the situation as a priority.

They could be feral dogs or they could be escaped pets, but they really shouldn't be out on the street. It's not safe for them or anyone else.

Do you have a small fire extinguisher you can carry with you? My sister helps rehabilitate problem dogs at the shelter she works for. She says a fire extinguisher is the safest way to break up a dog fight or prevent a dog attack. It doesn't hurt the dogs, but the noise and foam scare them away.

Thinking of you and all your outdoor kitties.

:hugs:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That fire extinguisher tip is a good idea. I have never heard of that one before. It’s good to know of something that will scare them away.
Apparently it even works on super aggressive guard dogs. Doesn't hurt them, but sends them running off with their tails between their legs.

It's worth getting a small fire extinguisher if you live in an area where dogs are a problem.

:)

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. It’s imperative that you get the cats inside somewhere or give them places the dogs cannot get to. Places for the kitties to get up high might help. Stay with them while the eat and remove food dishes afterwards. Since you are getting more dogs, I tend to think they will form a pack. Pack mentality is volatile. I can imagine that the newer arrivals are or were pets. Have you tried an animal shelter for help? Go to neighbors and ask about the dogs. Take pictures of the dogs if you can. Any have collars? They may have escaped during all the problems in you area weather lately. They may be foraging for food or a female may be in heat. The bad thing is that they don’t know that killing a kitten is wrong. They may feel it is play or like chasing a squirrel. It really would be safest to get the kittens inside from now on. Dogs that kill tend to repeat. Depending a lot on breed, many are used as hunting dogs and taught to retrieve. Like I said, they don’t know not to kill. You might put up some flyers to find dog owners or warn others that have cats or small dogs. “Keep all cats and small dogs inside for now. Wandering dogs.” Please keep us updated.
i have a makeshift cat house that is a table with wooden boards on the front and sides that is faced up to the wall of my house. Cats stayed there, and last night when they came by i heard a dog barking really loud at it, i guess it is effective in a way. Tonight i will add 2 kittens that arent skittish into my garage, making it around 13 total cats in my garage. Im trapping 3 tonight to take them to get fixed tomorrow. I have enough beds and litter boxes for the cats there so they'll be safe and sound there, even though some of them wont want to be there
One shaggy dog had a harness but it looks as if it was abandoned, they all hang out by a bridge near my house so i fear that they'll come back tonight which is why i will stay outside tonight until 4am or whenever they do show up. I made everything in my backyard to where there are weatherproof houses but now i have to make them dog proof.. I will have to work with my dad to cut an old tree in half and building a cat house on top of it, then maybe a catio, and some elevated cat houses. I always told my dad that we really needed our back porch to have a roof with a screen door and windows all around.. that way my outdoor cats can stay protected from both weather and dogs without having to come indoors.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
shoot the pack of dogs with a shot gun loaded with rock salt wont kill em but will make them avoid your yard once they learn
i might have to ask my neighbor to borrow his shotgun and get that rock salt from homedepot, but for now i will use my air pistol