Dog's Heath Issues Blamed On An Innocent Kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We still don't know where the infection came from. She's an indoor dog for Pete's sake! I can't imagine where she would have gotten this. But so far I do like the vet. He seems very knowledgeable and he has some fantastic reviews.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update: The antibiotics and steroids that she was given did wonders for both her ears and her swollen leg. She is up and moving again and drinking a TON of water. Which is great because she was so dehydrated.

About a week ago, she started wetting herself every time she went to sleep. And I mean pouring bucket loads. The vet said that it's a side effect of the steroids and that it will wear off eventually.

It's weird though...she's so much happier, but she's still losing weight. She eats and eats and eats and EATS as though she's starving to death, which is really unusual for her. Despite once being 70 lbs, she usually eats like a bird.

You can see every bone in her face because her skin is drawn so tightly. Her legs are withering away, and you can count her vertebrate from a distance because they are so pronounced. She's turning into a bit of a walking skeleton, and yet she's doubled her dry intake and is eating several large cans of food a day. It's like she can't retain anything. She's also becoming food aggressive with the cats if they so much as walk by when she's eating, which is unusual for her in every way. She's an extremely gentle spirited dog, to the point that our late border collie used to take advantage of her if we weren't monitoring. Until recently I'd never heard her growl or snap in the five years that I've had her.

It makes me nervous now when my 4 and 2 year old nieces come over, because I don't want this aggression to be misplaced. (Though I never, ever feed her when they're around, they sometimes still try to sneak her snacks)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like some vet out there ought to be able to at least give a diagnosis. With the eating but still losing weight, I suspect an endocrine disorder. Has she been tested for Pancreatic Insufficiency? How's her poop?

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel like some vet out there ought to be able to at least give a diagnosis. With the eating but still losing weight, I suspect an endocrine disorder. Has she been tested for Pancreatic Insufficiency? How's her poop?
She hasn't been tested for that. Her poop is dark, pasty, and seemingly smaller than it should be for how much she eats.