Dogs around unvaccinated cat

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My newest cat Nessie hasn't been vaccinated that I know of, she was a stray I caught so I wonder if it is ok for her to be around my dogs before I get her vaccinated. I know it's best to wait for intros to the other cats but what about the dogs? The dogs are vaccinated, and would have been around her when she was living outside, my indoor/outdoor cats would have been around her some too and they aren't sick. I will be getting her vaccinated when I get her spayed, but that wont be for a couple months (discount spay and neuter is in January at my vet).  I can wait if I have to, but she really wants out of the dog crate to visit with the dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Their are a few things that can spread from dog to cat and visversa but their not normally things you vaccinate for. The biggest thing is internal parasites, especially with indoor/outdoor animals and heartworms.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She has been dewormed, about a week ago, and heartworms luckily aren't something we worry about this far north (Northern Alberta), it's just simply too cold. Summer is only a couple months, and winters last about 8 months, with temps below -40 not uncommon.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could drop off a fecal sample at the vet just to make sure that she doesn't have something that the wormer wasn't right for. If it comes back clean then theirs not much risk in letting her out. Microplasmas and certain viruses such as rabies and bordetella can cross species but the time from infection to showing symptoms are well outside of the two week quarantine windows.