TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

twichl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 Thank you! The whole tank is actually very utilitarian. No substrate, plastic plants, plastic plant pot cut in half (with a rock siliconed to the top no less) and a net box that will eventually have live plants. ;) But my water quality is immaculate and easy to maintain. 
The turtles are housed with fish (that have gone uneaten for 8 months- knock on wood). I'm sure the turtles sometimes erratic behavior and fish will be very enticing. Guida is a biter and it would be very unfortunate if a cat tried to go fishing and caught a very angry turtle. Guida has actually launched herself out of the water to latch onto my hand while vacuuming their tank. Keeping them separated is for both the cats and the turtle's sake. My turtles are still small at 2.1" and 2.5" but they could draw blood if given the chance.  
Do be careful when hibernating her outside, the crazy temperature swings have already taken the lives of a few turtles. (A friend of mine just lost her oldest DBT because the temps kept swinging from 30 to 70 from day to day.) 
Speedy looks adorable :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the concern. I know Speedy has moved at least twice with the changing temperatures. We offered her some food and she ate one of the times. We have enough plants and water often enough that the backyard is usually more stable temperature wise than the surrounding area. She's at least 30, we got her 10 years ago and she was already full grown and came with the name.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, I wish I lived somewhere that I could let my tortoise live outside :D. I have a Russian tortoise. It's hot enough here in the summer but too humid for Russians. I wish I could get a Sulcata (I have enough room for it) but they don't do well in humidity either, boo. I suppose if I really wanted one that could live outside in the summer I'd get a Redfoot, lol.

Loving the pictures!