Dog Mom Adopting First Cat

tubamirmaid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a vet tech that has adopted, and fostered a variety of animals. Except cats. I currently have many fish, a senior labradoodle and looking to add a cat rescue to the mix. I have cared for cats in the past, and had roommates that owned cats. But never one of my own.
My dog gets along with cats and small mammals very well and knows to be gentle (his best friend was a guinea pig). I'm looking to adopted a special needs senior cat that's strong FIV positive in August and want to make sure I can give him the best life possible. I know everything on a medical stand point but was wondering if anyone has advice on what to expect, how to introduce a cat to a new home/ dog, and any other cat advice you guys can throw at me! I have visited him a few times at the sanctuary he's been living at for the last 4 years and we have bounded really well. I'm going to continue on sponsoring and visiting him till he's ready to come home.

Last edited:

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's good that your dog is good with cays and other animals and knows to be gentle. That'll help a lot so he can back off and give the cat lots of space as they adjust. Spend lots of time with each, and treats and petting for calm good behavior around each always help.
I've introduced two large young playful dogs to many cats over the years and always had success and they've eventually bonded and been buddies who all slept together.