Dog Leash For Water?

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I recently moved somewhere with a rather calm river and my dog all of a sudden likes swimming. He's not a people person and is not dog-friendly so he's kept on a leash at all times. His nylon long line got pretty heavy when he decided to go for a swim and I'm worried it would weigh him down (he's only 38 pounds) or get tangled under the water. He will be getting a life jacket but that doesn't solve the tangling issue. I love biothane leashes but I think a long line of that material would be too heavy in the water.

Does anyone have experience with lightweight long lines that are good in water? Do you have any experience with floating lines? This company claims to have a floating lead but I can't find any information on how strong it is. Ideally, I need a lead that's lightweight but strong enough not to snap if he sees a dog in the distance and takes off.
30 Ft Swimming Dog Snap Leash - 3/8" Round Polypropylene

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love biothane leashes for swimming with my dogs. We just use the 6 foot ones and keep them close.
If you are looking for something longer we have also used a thinner rope (you can go to a hardware store and cut the length of your choosing) so it floats and allows our dogs a chance to swim further away. Just have to be careful they don't get tangled or caught on something, but we are always in the water with them.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm....before moving to AZ I lived by the virgin river and would sometimes walk the lab (who is much bigger then your dog) and let him play in the river. At that time I used a retractable leash which is something I also use with our 16 pound dog, I find the find the leashes in them quite lightweight. One of the reasons is so he could go a bit without having the extra leash dragging and getting tangled.

That said, what is the banks of your river like? Is there a lot of plants that it might get twisted into? If so, is your dog the type who is likely to move in circles around things like that? I think if I was in your place I would start with a retractable leash, but I would ideally work on training him to go off leash for short periods and have him go off leash in the water. I always was scared even with the retractable leash that he would get it twisted around something and choke himself or get stuck. Of course I’m also a worry wart, so take it for what it is .

aliceramirez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think there are some "wild beaches" where your dog can swim. But what about special lashes for swimming - I don't like to use them because dog can get lost in it and in the water this is very dangerous

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also had good luck with a retractable leash, and kept it taut so it wouldn't have any slack to sink and get caught on anything under water. This was with a 100 lb dog who loved to swim.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For some reason, I haven't been getting notifications about this thread!

Our dog did not need a leash in the water but I found these 2 leashes that might be what you're looking for, i.e. it's made for swimming and is resistant to rot and mildew:

Here is one more I found:
Soft Lines Floating Dog Swim Slip Leashes - 1 / 4
I also looked at those! I might end up getting that when we upgrade to a longer line.

That said, what is the banks of your river like? Is there a lot of plants that it might get twisted into? If so, is your dog the type who is likely to move in circles around things like that? I think if I was in your place I would start with a retractable leash, but I would ideally work on training him to go off leash for short periods and have him go off leash in the water. I always was scared even with the retractable leash that he would get it twisted around something and choke himself or get stuck. Of course I’m also a worry wart, so take it for what it is .
The bank is rock and mud with plants scattered in patches, but we avoid those.

I think there are some "wild beaches" where your dog can swim. But what about special lashes for swimming - I don't like to use them because dog can get lost in it and in the water this is very dangerous
I also had good luck with a retractable leash, and kept it taut so it wouldn't have any slack to sink and get caught on anything under water. This was with a 100 lb dog who loved to swim.
He's not a dog that will ever be allowed off leash. His prey drive is too high and he's just not stranger or dog-friendly. I'm also not comfortable having him in the water and being unable to pull him in if he gets caught in the current, which has been known to suddenly pick up extremely strong, even right along the shore. I don't like retractable leashes for a wide variety of reasons and much prefer actual long lines.

I ended up going with this one

It floats, it doesn't tangle, it's highly visible. It'll work for now but 30 feet really isn't very far. With where the water level is right now he can still walk along the bottom in most places when he's 30 feet out. Perhaps during late summer it'll be sufficient, but for Spring swimming 50 feet would be better. He won't actually get the full length of the line most of the time, but if a toy goes a bit far I want to be able to let out a little extra line for him to reach it. I'm incredibly paranoid about his safety while swimming, so before a toy is tossed in the water he gets his lifejacket put on with the leash attached to the handles. I make sure the line isn't around his legs and I let line out as he swims out and wrap it back up as he swims back.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a thought, when I had a dog that liked swimming but I didn't trust him off lead I bought boat/marine poly rope. I then just added my own clips to it, since it's plastic you just melt the end pieces to seal it (so it doesn't fray) and melt the end to the rope. I also put tape around it too for added protection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a thought, when I had a dog that liked swimming but I didn't trust him off lead I bought boat/marine poly rope. I then just added my own clips to it, since it's plastic you just melt the end pieces to seal it (so it doesn't fray) and melt the end to the rope. I also put tape around it too for added protection.
I'll look into this! Thank you!