Dog Food Recall

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If this has been listed before, apologies. I just got this email from Dave at petful which had a list of all the foods on recall for too much Vit D. He thinks there is a problem with a supplier they all use, but so far there is no proof. IF the links don't work try the website Petful.com.

The full list of Vitamin D related recalls now includes 9 dog food brands:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Found this interesting little bit. source ABC news FDA says name of the manufacture of the tainted dog food is protected information.

"The FDA said that dog food sourced from a single manufacturer, but sold by multiple brands, contained "excessive, potentially toxic levels of vitamin D." Recalls have been initiated for impacted food from Nutrisca, Natural Life Pet Products, Sunshine Mills, Inc., Kroger brand, and ELM dog foods."

FDA warns of dog foods recalled for too much Vitamin D

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another post connected to the recall.

"Major retailers known to have sold the possibly tainted dog products include Food Lion, Hannaford's, Giant Food Stores, Martin's Food Markets, Stop & Shop and Peapod--all owned by Netherlands-based Ahold Delhaize--as well as Kroger, which runs 2,769 grocery stores, and Germany's Lidl, which runs about 60 stores in seven states. (See at bottom for a full list of brands subject to the recall.)"

more at site

Thousands of grocery stores recall potentially lethal dog food

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ugh I was really hoping when I saw this that it would give me some insight into what's wrong with my dog, that maybe her former food brand was on here or something...a few months ago she started developing sores all over her body, became fevered, and quit eating. We put her on a different brand of 'allergen free' food and she perked back up and started losing the sores, but now they're coming back full on along with all the other symptoms. She's a shell of her former self with sunken eyes and no zest for life, but the vets are absolutely baffled.
:sniffle:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this Sydney? The food allergy tests didn't work?

Here's the thing that comes to my mind and it may have nothing to do with whats going on with your dog, but you could discuss it with your vet.

I'm not saying this is what's going on with your dog, nor am I a vet or tech or anything. When our dog got hot spots, the vet tried various things which did not work and made him nervous. We stopped them. Then we gave him vitamin C supplement for pets. I sprinkled it on his share of the last bite of cat food the cats left in their bowls. I got the powdered liver flavored form, it comes in pills and flavored. The hot spots cleared up in a few days. We continued with the Vitamin C for years. He was a rescue and from what the vet said mere hours from starving to death when I found him. Therefore the Vitamin C success may be due to that.

Prayers to your dog and you.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And another one

The following product is affected:

• A+ Answers Straight Beef Formula for Dogs
    Lot Code: 2018
    Best Use By Date: 02/08 20
    FDA lot info corrected by the company
Why FDA Issuing This Warning
The FDA is issuing this warning because the affected product represents a serious threat to human and animal health and is adulterated under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.

The FDA is still working with Lystn to gather comprehensive distribution information and is issuing this warning to alert consumers about this public health risk.

Salmonella Discovered in Answers Brand Dog Food | Dog Food Advisor

Answers Pet Food wants readers to know that the FDA’s post is not a product recall.

Click here to read company’s response to the FDA warning.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canned Dog food on this one.

Jan. 31, 2019

Hey again,

Sorry for the multiple emails today, but I just got word from the FDA about another recall. Since you're subscribed to our free alerts, I wanted to let you know about it as soon as I could!

Hill's Pet Nutrition is recalling a huge variety of both Science Diet and Prescription Diet canned dog foods because of they may contain too much Vitamin D.

Click the link below to get the full details and to share this recall news with others:

https://www.petful.com/recalled/science-diet-recall-2019/

It's important to point out that NO dry foods are part of this recall. Also, no cat foods or pet treats are part of the recall.

In addition, if you buy Science Diet or Prescription Diet but are NOT located in the United States, you should go check your country-specific Hill's website for details about possible recalls of Hill's products in your country.

–Dave at Petful

P.S. Please forward this email to anyone who should know about this pet food recall. And if a friend of yours has forwarded this email to you, consider subscribing to our FREE recall alerts — you will receive timely U.S. dog food and cat food recall alerts just like this one.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Click the link below to get the full details and to share this recall news with others:
P.S. Please forward this email to anyone who should know about this pet food recall.
K Kflowers I can't thank you enough for this information. :thanks: My daughter called yesterday evening to tell me her dog who has been having health issues was diagnosed with IBS. Her vet had recommended a change in diet to Science Diet I/D. I sent her your link immediately and fortunately the food her vet suggested was not on the list but I told her to sign up for the recall alert. Thanks again for the info.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canned Dog food on this one.

Jan. 31, 2019

Hey again,

Sorry for the multiple emails today, but I just got word from the FDA about another recall. Since you're subscribed to our free alerts, I wanted to let you know about it as soon as I could!

Hill's Pet Nutrition is recalling a huge variety of both Science Diet and Prescription Diet canned dog foods because of they may contain too much Vitamin D.

It's important to point out that NO dry foods are part of this recall. Also, no cat foods or pet treats are part of the recall.

In addition, if you buy Science Diet or Prescription Diet but are NOT located in the United States, you should go check your country-specific Hill's website for details about possible recalls of Hill's products in your country.

–Dave at Petful

P.S. Please forward this email to anyone who should know about this pet food recall. And if a friend of yours has forwarded this email to you, consider subscribing to our FREE recall alerts — you will receive timely U.S. dog food and cat food recall alerts just like this one.
This is especially scary, prescription diets for (in some cases) already sick animals.:(
Yesterday my wife's friend was panicking a bit because her small dog is now on a canned w/d formula that was recalled, but the lot number wasn't part of the recall, so now she's worrying that it will expand or somehow her lot got missed. :disappointed:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dumb question, but is there a recall sign up for cat food brands, too? Most of them only deal with dog food. :mad:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've looked but have yet to find a sign up for notices of recalled cat foods. <small scream of frustration>

I will continue to look.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And there is this site for both cat and dog and possible other pet foods Dog and Cat Food Recalls, Text Message (SMS) Recall Alerts | PawDiet

I don't see a place to sign up for email notices, but they do text messages -

To help pet owners keep track of the latest dog food recalls & cat food recalls, we offer a text-message recall alert program. When you enroll in this free service, we'll send you a text-message when a dog or cat food recall is issued. To enroll, send the word "START" to (844) 402-3335.