Dog Food For Cats If I Add Taurine?

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed almost 35 ferals and have had to cut down the daily feeding, getting too expensive. Bought taurine and am wondering if I add it to the less expensive large cans of dog food, can I feed it to the cats on occasion?
I use dry cat food and a friend gives me leftover chicken when the restaurant she works in makes chicken broth/soup.
I live in mountainous region with many rodents for the cats also, mice, chipmunks, etc so their diet is varied and don't depend on the wet food I put out.
Thanks for any opinions/advice.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't use dog food, even with taurine. There are other nutrients that have different mins/max's for cats versus dogs. I would think that Special Kitty from Walmart ($1 for a 22 ounce can) would be preferable if you need a really inexpensive way to add canned to the dry diet. Also if the restaurant chicken broth is made with onion and/or garlic, I would not offer it.

Their healthiest component is the mice, rodents and insects. ;)

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really with ferals in a mountainous area your main feeding duty is going to be supplementing. They have a lot of things to eat that's provided from the wild and even if you do have to cut back you are still helping with whatever it is you can add. I would not recommend dog food purely because it's labeled dog food for a reason, not for cats lol.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a brand of canned dog food that can be fed to cats because it is the same formula: Nature's Variety Instinct Originals. However it is pretty expensive so maybe not budget-friendly for a large feral colony, even the large 13 oz cans.

If the cats are getting enough to eat from whatever they catch, dry food would be enough for any supplementation.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I feed my cat farm Friskies. But sometimes they like Special Kitty . The 22oz Turkey & Giblets seems to be their favorite.
Tell the manager at your market you are helping feral cats. They may give you a discount on Friskies and/or save the cans with dents for you .
All the best ! :hellocomputer:

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
off topic question but are these feral cats spayed? Is it why you cant afford food for them anymore...you had 10 and now 35?

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
~ I feed my cat farm Friskies. But sometimes they like Special Kitty . The 22oz Turkey & Giblets seems to be their favorite.
Tell the manager at your market you are helping feral cats. They may give you a discount on Friskies and/or save the cans with dents for you .
All the best ! :hellocomputer:
Also ask about damaged bagged dry food. Some stores have discount (not all though. Some would throw it away and any attempt to save would be considered "stealing" :( )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your replies, they were very informative and helpful. I started trapping after I moved here, TNR'd almost 180 cats since 2011, some help from my community but mostly out of pocket. Will be trapping a mama and her 3 kittens soon, organization I use charges only $35 for surgery and a rabies vac. Need to cut back on food expenses but glad to put the feeding in perspective, as supplement. During our winters here in NE Pa I do feed daily but am cutting during the warmer months. We have 2 dogs so the food I bought with the cats in mind won't go to waste.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. Just shop around for the most cost effective large cans of wet food. If you have a Tractor Supply near you, their 4health brand has large cans for a good price.