Dog avoiding kitten (like the plague!)

SueAndHerZoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two dogs, a very old 150 pound Saint Dane, and a 4 year old, 40 pound mutt. I was scared to death to introduce a kitten to the home because of the big dog, and over the course of 2.5 months I have acclimated them to each other so that I can finally let the cat free roam the house when I am home. No issues with the big dog (whew!)

BUT.... the smaller dog is terrified or something of the kitten. This poor dog gets up and leaves the area whenever I have brought the cat out of her cat room. If we try to force him to get close to her or sniff her, he turns his head away, tries to hide under me, and runs away as soon as he's able. He won't be on the same level of the house that she's on, and has even gone out the pet door in the freezing cold to stand outside until I drag him back in. This has been going on almost 3 months and I'm at my wits end. I feel so badly for my dog - he probably feels replaced or displaced and is spending 90% of his time alone and away from us humans due to this cat. My heart breaks for him, so my question is do I try to force some interaction (as in enclosing them both in a small room with me supervising) or do I continue to give him his space and hope he will come around in time?

This is NOT a problem I anticipated when deciding to become a failed foster to this kitten! :rolleyes:
Sue

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Until other members with first hand experience come along and offer what they did to rectify their situation, I'll just ask a couple of questions/make a few comments. Has this dog ever been around cats before? If not, he just may be literally scared of not knowing what 'this thing' is that he is dealing with. Also, I would guess this kitten is a bit rambunctious for him, so maybe he is afraid of her movements and even the noises she makes (I think I remember you saying she is pretty vocal)? Is she ever aggressive with him? That will also make some dogs fearful of a cat.

I know you were really working hard to make sure your larger dog was 'trustworthy' before allowing the kitten to roam the house - did you by chance spend more time working on a relationship between that dog and the kitten, and less effort working with the smaller dog?

I think you are probably going to have to go through some form of re-introduction between the kitten and this dog. Maybe there are some ideas you can use from this article - see link below? (There are also a couple of not-so-good suggestions, like spraying the cat with water if the cat is the 'aggressor', so please be cautious of whether the suggestions actually make good sense. But, it would seem most of the tips directed at how to help the dog are OK.)
Dog Scared of Cat? 6 Things You Can Do to Help Them Get Along (topdogtips.com)
And, just in case this TCS article would be of any assistance.
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi S SueAndHerZoo :)
Wow. I don't think I've come across any posts where the dog was afraid of the kitten.
Usually always the opposite.

Can you tell us some more about your kitten?
How does she play? with toys? chasing strings?
Does she run around the home erratically, get the kitten zoomies, and bump into things?

Post some photos of your fur crew.
Tell us their names.
BUT.... the smaller dog is terrified or something of the kitten. This poor dog gets up and leaves the area whenever I have brought the cat out of her cat room. If we try to force him to get close to her or sniff her, he turns his head away, tries to hide under me, and runs away as soon as he's able. He won't be on the same level of the house that she's on, and has even gone out the pet door in the freezing cold to stand outside until I drag him back in.
Could the kitten have accidentally or playfully scratched the dog's face?
Or does the kitten hiss at the dog?
This has been going on almost 3 months and I'm at my wits end. I feel so badly for my dog - he probably feels replaced or displaced and is spending 90% of his time alone and away from us humans due to this cat. My heart breaks for him, so my question is do I try to force some interaction (as in enclosing them both in a small room with me supervising) or do I continue to give him his space and hope he will come around in time?
As FeebysOwner FeebysOwner mentioned in the above post...a formal introduction...between the kitten and the dog would help.
I'm only familiar with cat-to-cat intros...but I think the same process....would apply to 'desensitizing the fear response from your dog'.

(When I introduced my dog, black cross retriever x lab, as a puppy,...it was him who always tried to chase and play with the cats...so basically we had to keep a strict eye, and learning leash on him,...and not on the cats. Though, I guess you do have to keep a close eye on everyone, when introducing animals.)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
How is your dog on commands? If he will do a sit or stay, even when frightened then I would try that command, bring the kitten into the room and give the dog a treat or treats he really likes. I would not force any interaction but keeping him in the room long enough may help his fear and The treats will help him associate her presence with something good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SueAndHerZoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, everyone. It definitely is a strange situation and one I was not prepared for. I started the introductions (months ago) by letting the dogs sniff the cat through a carrier. Even then, he sniffed and walked away quickly. I kept the kitten in one room for the first 6 weeks here and often invited the smaller dog in to meet her but as soon as I opened that bedroom door, he would dart away and hide. Once I got more comfortable with the big dog being around the kitten, I set up a dog crate in the main living area so that when we were all settled in for the evening to watch some TV, the cat could be around us but safe. Jackson (the fearful one) would not even stay in the room with the cat in the crate. I have tried having my husband hold the dog while I hold the cat and let them sniff each other but Jackson buries his face into my husband and won't even look at the cat - it's really sad to watch.

We rescued the pup at about 10 weeks of age so it probably has never seen a cat. And yes, now that the kitten has free run of the house (when we are home) she darts around and plays with toys until she is tired enough to curl up on my lap. But during the first few weeks of introductions she was always either in a crate or in my arms - I don't know where this fear came from.

I was beginning to wonder it was a jealousy thing but I think it's genuine fear. He is upstairs in the dark while the rest of us are in the living room. :(
Sue

PuffandPercy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would be going back a few steps, and treating it a bit as you do cats intros.

Pupper needs to feel safe and happy in his home; perhaps give him some more space and slow down the intro a bit. Hard going backwards, but I think making the dog feel comfortable and prioritized a bit might help you with the fear response.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
...Once I got more comfortable with the big dog being around the kitten, I set up a dog crate in the main living area so that when we were all settled in for the evening to watch some TV, the cat could be around us but safe. Jackson (the fearful one) would not even stay in the room with the cat in the crate. I have tried having my husband hold the dog while I hold the cat and let them sniff each other but Jackson buries his face into my husband and won't even look at the cat - it's really sad to watch.
Poor Jackson. You would think that having the kitten, in the large dog crate, would make him feel secure, knowing the kitten could not do him any harm.

Since you've already tried this method....and since the smell of the cat has already been in and on the crate...
Can you place the empty crate, in another location in your home...and observe if Jackson will at least approach the crate?
By doing this, with the crate empty...but still having the Scent of the kitten...you are trying to distinguish if the smell of the kitten triggers Jackson...or is it the sight of the kitten?

If Jackson approaches and sniffs the crate, then move on to another step,...of placing a cat toy inside the crate, then a cat bed, blanket and so on.
We rescued the pup at about 10 weeks of age so it probably has never seen a cat. And yes, now that the kitten has free run of the house (when we are home) she darts around and plays with toys until she is tired enough to curl up on my lap. But during the first few weeks of introductions she was always either in a crate or in my arms - I don't know where this fear came from.
It is really hard to say where his fear came from.

It could really be anything...from Seeing a cat-fight outside the window, or Hearing cats cry or howl...to even watching squirrels argue and run around.
Perhaps even having the kitten first come home, and hearing her cries or meows, and not understanding them.
If the kitten tried to play or approach the dog, and bopped him on the nose with her paw, then this too may make him fearful.

Or the way a kitten Smells, since Scents are so strong with both dogs and cats.
Even Scents from the kitten's litter box, if the litter used has some scent in it,...could get on her paws,...and if the dog finds it obnoxious, then he may turn away.

Smells from giving a kitten her first vaccinations, de-worming pills, flea medications, etc.
I wonder if tuna cat food also smells weird and strong to a dog? Or other types of cat food.
I was beginning to wonder it was a jealousy thing but I think it's genuine fear. He is upstairs in the dark while the rest of us are in the living room. :(
Sue
(My dog does get a little jealous when he sees me patting my cats, while on the sofa, every once in a while. But I only think that is fair, so I have to try and pat all the animals...or at least make it seem like they are getting equal pats. It's difficult. :blackcat::blackcat: :bluepaw:)

Could you try giving Jackson some 'calming treats for dogs'.
I've never used them, but perhaps they might help alleviate some of his fear around the new kitten.
Amazon.com : calming dog treats

Also, another member/advisor from this Site, had posted about using a 'thunder shirt' to calm dogs down.
It would be worth a try to see if it helps.
You can also make your own with fabric and velcro, if you are crafty.
THUNDERSHIRT Anxiety & Calming Aid for Dogs, Heather Grey, X-Small - Chewy.com
ThunderShirt for Dogs

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My previous GSD was a huge boy, 126 lbs, who was terrified of small dogs. He once broke off his leash and ran out of the vet's office (had a department store type door) when a mean little miniature dachshund barked at him. He was also selectively afraid of some of my cats like the tortie who would walk up and smack him in the face repeatedly and then walk away...but at least I can admit that she was aggressive, even with me. He never got over being terrified of small dogs and I was told by a behaviorist that he did not perceive them as dogs or a species that he understood and that it was not uncommon for GSDs to be spooked by tiny animals even if they are willing to tackle the burglar who broke into your house.. However, I had no small dogs and he got along with the other cats, so it never escalated. I would try the Thundershirt and calming treats. Can you find a dog trainer to talk to about this? Cesar Millan have anything online?

SueAndHerZoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again for the replies and suggestions. It is the actual cat he is terrified of..... once I lock her in her cat room and physically move him into the living area to prove that she's not there, he goes over to the empty dog crate and sniffs and steals stuff that's in there. And when she's not in her cat room, he has gone in there to see if he can scoff up any leftover cat food. It's definitely the cat he's terrified of.

Last night we made the most progress ever. My husband took the cat into another area and brought the dog to me. I put him on my lap on the couch and hugged and pet him for a while. Then my husband released the kitten and of course she headed right for me and jumped up. This time the dog did not leave, he simply tried to bury himself under me. The cat curled up near my neck/shoulder and he stayed on my lap with his face buried in the blanket. At one point the cat moved and curled up next to him and again he didn't leave, he just tried to make himself flatter and more invisible and try to crawl inside of me. It's also comical (but sad) that when he is in a room and she enters, he doesn't run from the room, his tail goes between his legs, his head lowers, and he almost tiptoes very slowly out of there. I guess we just keep trying the continued exposures and hope he soon realizes that she can't do much harm to him.

I work at the shelter and talked to some of the dog staff and they just told me to keep doing what I'm doing and give him time to come around - don't force the cat on him but don't always allow him an easy retreat, either. Get a load of this - I contacted a dog telepathic communicator yesterday to ask if she could help! She said she could try to "talk to him" but she suggested that perhaps I'm reinforcing his fears by comforting him and coddling him when he hides.

If I don't see at least slight progress in the next few weeks I will definitely have to do something in the way of a dog behaviorist - this is too sad to let it go on much longer. Thanks again for the feedback and ideas, and the support!
Sue

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep at it!! Maybe it has already been discussed, but what happens if someone holds the kitten and lets the dog roam about? Will he stay in the room if the kitten is confined to someone's lap? If he would, that would be a good treat time with an added 'good boy'!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Usually it's the dog that I recommend be mentally and physically exercised when being introduced to a new cat but since this is the opposite situation why not try it with your kitten? Your husband could play with the kitty to try and tire her out, e.g. whatever cat toys get her attention, while you spend time with the pup. Then try leaving the kitten out and see if she calms down so the dog doesn't pick up on her excess energy. It sounds like your dog may need to build up her confidence and a dog behaviorist could definitely help or you could read Patricia McConnell's informative book, The Other End of the Leash. She is an animal behaviorist with a Ph.D. and I've liked her style for a long time. The Other End of the Leash - Patricia McConnell, Ph.D., a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist, has made a lifelong commitment to improving the relationship between people and animals.

SueAndHerZoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Success! We've continued to work on this slowly but surely and the trick that finally helped the dog break through was to entice him with his favorite thing in the world: having my husband play with the flirt pole with him. This dog would give up a steak and lobster dinner if he saw us pick up the flirt pole, so my husband started waving the toy in the same room the cat was loose in and the dog finally couldn't resist and started playing. When the playing stopped and he realized the cat was nearby he would bolt from the room, but after doing this several times and the dog finally realizing that he was in the same room with the cat and he didn't die, he started to relax. Eventually the cat joined in with the toy and they would play side by side, and the rest is history. Whew! No more cat having to be confined to one room and no more dog banishing himself to the basement!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, support and advice - it provied priceless!
Sue