dog anal gland removal

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope this is a place where I can put this question...

My brother's dog has repeated impacted anal glands and has to get them expressed very often. She's the sweetest dog and is in pain.

We're trying to collect information about anal gland removal in dogs. I'm curious if anyone has had this done to their dog and what the procedure was like, are you pleased with the results, etc. Also, I know this is very different everywhere, but if you don't mind, what did you pay for the procedure?

Thanks.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had it done for Rain, and I couldn't be happier with the results. She was leaking anal glands all over the house near the end and I couldn't stand the smell anymore, plus she hated having them expressed, plus they were irritating her all the time, she was constantly licking them. I have heard some horror stories though, and wouldn't trust it to just anyone, as it is a difficult surgery to perform, and can have horrible side effects. I had to board Rain at my work for a week after her surgery, because she was leaking bloody slimy discharge all over my house, and she had to wear an E-collar and kept running into everything. I thought it best for everyone if she stayed overnight at the clinic for the week, resting in her kennel, until she was healed. She goes to work with me almost every day, so she knows everyone well and wasn't traumatized by it. I got her surgery for free, because I work there, but we charge about $400-$500 to do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

I had it done for Rain, and I couldn't be happier with the results. She was leaking anal glands all over the house near the end and I couldn't stand the smell anymore, plus she hated having them expressed, plus they were irritating her all the time, she was constantly licking them. I have heard some horror stories though, and wouldn't trust it to just anyone, as it is a difficult surgery to perform, and can have horrible side effects. I had to board Rain at my work for a week after her surgery, because she was leaking bloody slimy discharge all over my house, and she had to wear an E-collar and kept running into everything. I thought it best for everyone if she stayed overnight at the clinic for the week, resting in her kennel, until she was healed. She goes to work with me almost every day, so she knows everyone well and wasn't traumatized by it. I got her surgery for free, because I work there, but we charge about $400-$500 to do it.
Thanks for the response!
I'm not sure if Nutmeg could go through the separation (she was terribly abused but has done wonderfully with my brother and is just the sweetest most thankful dog ever) after surgery, but they'll do whatever is necessary to keep her comfortable. I talked to my brother tonight and he doesn't want to do the surgical option yet, but I think it's only a matter of time.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I opted for it as it was convenient and not too stressful for me and her. You could put diapers on her to catch the discharge. There is always a lot of discharge..
Good luck!