Doesn't like to use litter box?

KitayCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat doesn't seem to like the litter box. I'm not sure why that is. She used to use it when I first got her. She got pregnant and was indoors all the time and used it fine. Once she had her kittens and got spayed I let her out. I have seen her go to the bathroom outside both #1 + #2.

The problem is it really isn't safe for her to go out and I'd like to stop it eventually. She likes to hunt (which is OK) but also tends to fight with other cats (which I have seen/heard).

I have tried some litter box additives (some litter box herbs), different kinds of litter, etc. She just seems to only use it as a very last resort, like if I leave her in long enough she will eventually use it.

I'm wondering though what kind of stress if any this could cause? Stress from not going to the bathroom? Or from not being able to go out? The vet has said she seemed to be a little overgroomed on her belly indicating stress. Could stomatitis be caused by clay cat litter? Microbes in the litter? What does everyone use for cat litter?

Also she doesn't stop bugging me to go out and will jump all over me or literally walk on me if I'm laying in bed LOL.
At the same time I can never tell if she wants to go out to go potty, to go fight another cat, or to go hunt a tree-rat.

Last edited by a moderator:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How many boxes do you currently have and, are the kittens using the box also?
You may not have enough for her liking especially if the babies are still with her and are using it too.
How often are you cleaning them? Ideally it must be at minimum once a day.
Also, some cats like to pee and poop in separate boxes. Some prefer open to closed boxes. Is the box large enough? Is the box located in an area to give her some privacy?
Did the vet do any tests to be sure she doesn't have an infection of some sort. If she's ok, start looking at the set up as I mentioned.
As far as her going out - just stop. You have control over that situation. It's mixed signals to allow her to go outside periodically when you prefer she doesn't.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Experts and other caring cat guardians strongly suggest keeping cats indoors only for their own safety and good health, and guardians' peace of mind.
Cat behaviorist Jackson "Cat Daddy" Galaxy has lots of helpful advice on his Animal Planet series, "MY CAT FROM HELL" as well as in his YouTube videos and books. He has a big social media presence and a lot of thoughtful suggestions on litterbox use.
Cats in their natural state strongly prefer sandy substrate (soil) for their eliminations. Most cats do not like covered boxes or scented litter. Also, cats, like most people, need quiet and privacy for their hygienic needs, so the box needs to be placed in a low-traffic, secure area. And yes, at minimum, scooping daily. I scoop 5 times a day for my two cats, and I have 5 boxes in different rooms, a holdover from when the family was larger. Experts recommend one box for each cat, plus one.

Pramathesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn't seem to like the litter box. I'm not sure why that is. She used to use it when I first got her. She got pregnant and was indoors all the time and used it fine. Once she had her kittens and got spayed I let her out. I have seen her go to the bathroom outside both #1 + #2.

The problem is it really isn't safe for her to go out and I'd like to stop it eventually. She likes to hunt (which is OK) but also tends to fight with other cats (which I have seen/heard).

I have tried some litter box additives (some litter box herbs), different kinds of litter, etc. She just seems to only use it as a very last resort, like if I leave her in long enough she will eventually use it.

I'm wondering though what kind of stress if any this could cause? Stress from not going to the bathroom? Or from not being able to go out? The vet has said she seemed to be a little overgroomed on her belly indicating stress. Could stomatitis be caused by clay cat litter? Microbes in the litter? What does everyone use for cat litter?

Also she doesn't stop bugging me to go out and will jump all over me or literally walk on me if I'm laying in bed LOL.
At the same time I can never tell if she wants to go out to go potty, to go fight another cat, or to go hunt a tree-rat.
I am a very new cat parent. I will narrate my experience hoping it helps. I brought home this 1-year old pregnant stray kitty determined to make her an inside-only cat. (I used to feed her daily before that. So we knew each other for 1-2 months. ) Of course I proceeded gradually. But around fifty days ago one morning (she was 30 days pregnant), I just went cold turkey. I would not open the door. I was determined and ignored her wailing and whining when the time came to let her out for toilet. I had a litter box prepared for her. After an hour of constant whining and jumping on the window glass, she finally went sniffing around the house and went potty in the litter box that I had placed for her. She has been inside ever since, gave birth in my house and never has had a potty accident.

Imagine this cat who had pooped only on the soil all her life, suddenly one morning litter trained herself out of necessity. Now I was determined for any poop accident but I was very lucky. I marvel everyday at the adaptability of this smart animal. Moral is, your cat might have gotten the taste of the "outside", which is the natural, normal, "raw" cat instinct. But remain confident and determined and ignore her whining and put at least two litter boxes (I put only one). Block off bedrooms and kitchens and make this a relatively small area where she can get to the box easily. Being a former housecat, she will definitely get into the habit of the "inside". That being said, steel yourself and watch her if you take the aforementioned route, and remain prepared for any potty accident. Remain calm at all cost. Do respond if you try this.
EDIT:
1.) IMO, her whining is caused by a mixture of both not being able to go out for her adventures, and pooping outside.
2.) I use bentonite clay litter; no infections yet.
3.) This answer assumes you want to make her an inside-only cat again which is why going cold turkey might help. Logic being that the sustained taste of the "outside" even in small degrees will make her whine everyday, and needs to be stopped.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a very new cat parent. I will narrate my experience hoping it helps. I brought home this 1-year old pregnant stray kitty determined to make her an inside-only cat. (I used to feed her daily before that. So we knew each other for 1-2 months. ) Of course I proceeded gradually. But around fifty days ago one morning (she was 30 days pregnant), I just went cold turkey. I would not open the door. I was determined and ignored her wailing and whining when the time came to let her out for toilet. I had a litter box prepared for her. After an hour of constant whining and jumping on the window glass, she finally went sniffing around the house and went potty in the litter box that I had placed for her. She has been inside ever since, gave birth in my house and never has had a potty accident.

Imagine this cat who had pooped only on the soil all her life, suddenly one morning litter trained herself out of necessity. Now I was determined for any poop accident but I was very lucky. I marvel everyday at the adaptability of this smart animal. Moral is, your cat might have gotten the taste of the "outside", which is the natural, normal, "raw" cat instinct. But remain confident and determined and ignore her whining and put at least two litter boxes (I put only one). Block off bedrooms and kitchens and make this a relatively small area where she can get to the box easily. Being a former housecat, she will definitely get into the habit of the "inside". That being said, steel yourself and watch her if you take the aforementioned route, and remain prepared for any potty accident. Remain calm at all cost. Do respond if you try this.
EDIT:
1.) IMO, her whining is caused by a mixture of both not being able to go out for her adventures, and pooping outside.
2.) I use bentonite clay litter; no infections yet.
3.) This answer assumes you want to make her an inside-only cat again which is why going cold turkey might help. Logic being that the sustained taste of the "outside" even in small degrees will make her whine everyday, and needs to be stopped.
You're a star, P Pramathesh and THANK YOU for this excellent post! to which I would just add that we've used scoopable SoPhresh unscented clay litter (from Petco.com) for yonks because it is the preferred type of substrate for cats, affordable, and auto-delivered to us in 30# recyclable tubs. Also, for cleanups, Nature's Miracle-Just For Cats is our preferred enzymatic cleaner. You might look into these products, K KitayCat -- they are very helpful.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stomatitis is an autoimmune disorder and is a hard challenge but definitely doable. I don't believe that litter causes it but licking a scented litter might irritate already sensitive gums. There are supplements that sometimes are beneficial during flareup, including L-lysine and CoQ10; your vet can advise you.
While keeping her inside may cause stress, much of that can be alleviated with play and comfort grooming. Does she still have her kittens with her? If not, how old were they when they were taken away from her? I learned the hard way that cats (and dogs) can get anxiety and anger from having litters separated too soon - this includes moms, "aunts/uncles - feline AND canine" and kittens force-weaned. Sometimes these separations are necessary but compassion & understanding can bring healing to broken hearts & minds.

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nick is an inside/outside at but he is in before it gets dark every night. I have found giving him a handful of temptation treats when he comes in for the night makes things go way easier. So yeah I bribe him when I visit. My mom doesn’t & she has trouble with him hiding ..... compared to him running to me. He will use the box at night but prefers the outdoors.

Is there anyway you can make your back yard escape proof with a purrfect fence topper so she can stay outside during the day?

Also I would give her 3-4 large boxes or plastic storage tubs with a smooth bottom? Catswho go outside wants cleaner box. Alsoevery cat wants 2 boxes, so I figured add1-2 boxes just to be safe. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I gave my guy a plastic tub the size of his 2 litter boxes because he is a litter kicker. I’m looking for a second tub for him. 397A752C-367F-4952-B605-3B7778E6D97D.jpeg

Jaylin A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not helpful at all.
Pretty snarky for someone who thinks outdoor free roaming and its consequences are ok. What did you expect, siv to go there and figure it out?? no one here is going to have an immediate, clear answer from an online post... don't ask for advice then call it unhelpful....

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With cats there is rarely an easy immediate solution. You are always playing clue & training them.So you don’t like this kind of litter; what about this kind of litter? If I put a box in your favorite pee spot (after I clean it with an enzyme cleaner) will you please use the box instead of the wall?

We are trying to help but it is near impossible to give a simple clear easy answer ..... besides get a catio.