Does Zeolite Work?

WhatchaCallKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Found some low-cost zeolite that looks to be decent quality.

Anyone using this in your box(es), and if so, how well does it work?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't zeolite toxic to animals and humans?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I can't find anything about toxicity in animals or humans. It looks like it's simply a drying agent. I have no idea if it works to reduce odors in litter boxes, but it seems logical. The faster the poop dries out the less it smells.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WhatchaCallKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't find anything about toxicity in animals or humans. It looks like it's simply a drying agent. I have no idea if it works to reduce odors in litter boxes, but it seems logical. The faster the poop dries out the less it smells.
There are some price-inflated litter-deodorizing products on Amazon which are basically just zeolite, as far as I can tell. So I'm hopeful that it's going to work.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It looks like it's simply a drying agent.
Not sure if it's a good thing since it's a drying agent. Cats perspire through their paws and not sure standing in the litter will cause the material to clogged up the pores. Just thinking aloud :dunno: Guess most clumping litter also acts like sone kind of drying agent too but not sure if Zeolite is more drying than others.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Crystal litter works by absorbing liquid, essentially pulling pee into the crystals and drying out the poop quickly. I've never seen any problems with the cats using that. From what I've read (no actual experience) I'd think the zeolite works in a similar way.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zeolite is a resin commonly used in home and industrial water softeners to remove hardness from water. It absorbs the hardness as water is passed over the zeolite bed, then is periodically regenerated with a salt water solution for additional softening cycles, the hardness-causing chemicals being flushed down the drain. As such, it has to be safe for people and animals. I don't know how good it is as litter box filler, but it shouldn't be hazardous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WhatchaCallKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After using this for a while, I can say that it definitely works & I highly recommend it. My litter box was actually kind of rancid (which is why I looked into it in the first place) and I didn't even change it out for new litter, just added fresh stuff on top of the old, mixed in and haven't emptied and cleaned the box for a while as well, and it still doesn't smell. At least, not nearly like before. It's only $15 here for quite a big jug which lasts a long time since only a few handfuls are required per box. Hope this helps!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After using this for a while, I can say that it definitely works & I highly recommend it. My litter box was actually kind of rancid (which is why I looked into it in the first place) and I didn't even change it out for new litter, just added fresh stuff on top of the old, mixed in and haven't emptied and cleaned the box for a while as well, and it still doesn't smell. At least, not nearly like before. It's only $15 here for quite a big jug which lasts a long time since only a few handfuls are required per box. Hope this helps!
Should last a very long time. Zeolites are good for hundreds of cycles in water softeners.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where did you buy this from? Is there a particular brand?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Found some low-cost zeolite that looks to be decent quality.

Anyone using this in your box(es), and if so, how well does it work?
Yes, the product I use is "Sweet PDZ". After cleaning up the litter box, I dump a bag of litter in the box and sprinkle 3 cups of Sweet PDZ all over the top of it. It's disappears though (mixes with the litter or falls down through the litter).
I scoop the box once a day, or every other day. At the end of the week, I sprinkle a couple more cups on top. When the litter gets low, I clean the box out and start again.